BCSS Seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jez
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: BCSS Seed

Post by Jez »

Hi Ian - I don't have the instructions any more as I posted the whole form..... so thanks for this info.. I only ordered about 10 packets of seed, no multiples and, as far as I'm aware, nothing much obviously "choice" or likely to be particularly in demand at any rate (though maybe everyone likes the things I like...). It is clearly a difficult and not necessarily rewarding job distributing seed and, although first come first served is a good way of doing it, it may be, in my humble opinion and since Journal distribution is clearly not "even", perhaps worth considering doing it on-line with plenty of lead-in advertising, while keeping a pool of seed separate for those who can only do it by post.

We should of course all be very thankful that there are people willing to count and distribute seed - they do a great job.

Cheers,

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Jez

Didn't you get my email with Geoffs email address & phone number.

If you want I could phone him & ask or I will be seeing him friday at our AGM

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Tina,

Yes, I did, thanks - but I have had difficulty accessing my E-mail over the past few days (I think the server was down) and didn't write his contact details down when I first looked at the message. I'm at work now (sigh!) and will hopefully be able to get into my mail mail folder. I'll send him a message once I've found his address.

Thanks!

Jez

PS - the pic of Adenium seedlings from the BCSS seed you posted made mine look a bit poor.... I only got 4 to germinate and they are all about the size of your tiniest ones.

Jez

Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Tina
BCSS Member

Update

Post by Tina »

Hi Jez

Just been chatting to Diana (Jeff's better half) & your seeds were sent 28/12/06 , second post so hopefully they should be with you soon.

Also Diana explained the rationale behind the 'free seeds' so as long as you asked for substitutes you also get free seeds, 1 per 5 packs you ordered.
They also try to match spare seeds to the seed type ( cacti or succulent) of what they have available so they are doing a really fantastic job & should be congratulated on there stirling work.

Apparently the slow down in turn around was because their PO had run out of small packet stamps just before Xmas even though he had been warned beforehand that they would be needing a lot for the BCSS seed distribution.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jez
BCSS Member

Re: Update

Post by Jez »

Tina,

Thanks - that's very generous of you to mention my name. Perhaps this will put a few other people's concerns to rest as well.

It must be a huge effort - particularly at a busy time of year - to get all the seed etc. sorted for everyone. They must have been really pee'd off when the PO ran out of stamps!

Off to buy a new heated propagator now.... I plugged mine in yesterday and it made a few unpleasant electrical shorting noises before I yanked it out again sharpish!

Cheers,

Jez

Jez

Jez
BCSS Member

Update - seed arrived

Post by Jez »

Hi All,

And so, my order has arrived too. Everything I wanted except the red flowered Strombocactus (which was, I guess, a choice one).

Jez

Jez

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Everything I wanted except the red flowered Strombocactus

That was offered last year also. Probably everyone buys the seed, can't grow anything from it, and has to buy it again the next year!

Cheshire, UK
David_K
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

All the Journals UK & overseas are delivered by the maing house to the Royal Mail on the same day. If they did not we would not get the postage discounts. I can also confirm this from the invoice I receive from Royal Mail. We have had reports that some December Journals were received in Australia before many UK ones and particularly Northern Ireland. I don't know what Royal Mail does some times, the Maggs catalogue of Mortimers Books was a perfect example. Members of my own branch had received theirs some two weeks before I received mine even though we are only 2 milles apart. Perhaps if they were not delivering so much junk mail they could do a proper job on the rest.

David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.

Re: Update - seed arrived

Post by Guest »

I have 3 Strombocactus which I grew from seed donkeys years ago but they would all have been done by the bag method.

Mike.