BCSS Seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: BCSS Seed

Post by Cactus Jack »

My seeds have just arrived 8-)) with a couple of extra packets also a credit note for the seeds i didn't get. It seems the most sought after seeds are always sold out (eg. Ario's / Aztekium and Tephros) Is there any way the more sought after seed could more widely distributed , living where i do theres no way i can get them on the first come first served basis??

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I posted my order the morning after I got the journal and received my seeds on Christmas Eve. The Tephrocactus seed was sold out by then! I think the earliest anybody reported receiving their seeds was just one day before me.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Garfield
Registered Guest

Post by Garfield »

People appear to be ordering and getting seed before I even recieve the magazine. I am just concerned just curious as to how the magazine is despatched.
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

You get your post delivered on Sunday, Phil?

Which Tephrocactus were sold out? I ordered T. geometricus last year and got them but I know I ordered fairly early.

Cheshire, UK
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Ian
Tina sent her order on the friday/saturday not sure of date and I sent my order on that sunday and both tephros were sold out when I got my seed order

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Still not got my seed - I posted my order on the 18th December.... anyone else in this situation? Maybe I should find out if (like some other post I hoped to receive over the last few weeks) my order has gone astray.

Jez

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thats the point i was trying to make Garfield , people had received their seed order before i got my magazine also . As far as i know the mag delivery is out of the BCSS hands , but the late delivery means that i , you and others have no chance of choice seed. I dont envy the distributers job at all , but i would like the same chance as those who live within closer range. 8-)

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Gaaaah! I meant the last delivery before Christmas which was the Saturday 23rd. The T. 'Geometricus' and alexanderi were not available.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Maybe next year they could be persuaded to hold all the orders for say 3 weeks, then process them at random. That would seem to be fairer considering how long it takes for some of the magazines to be delivered.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Jez, the instructions say to wait four weeks before enquiring. Not sure of the details since most people are getting orders turned around in a couple of days. Maybe some orders for multiple packets of some seeds are being held back to check demand? I'm just guessing. Clearly some seeds sold out in just a day or two anyway. I got everything I ordered plus a few extra packets, but maybe I didn't order anything highly desirable. No Tephrocactus anyway :) Posted second class but still only took about a week from my posting the order to getting the seeds, which is pretty good around Christmas.

Cheshire, UK