BCSS Seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seed

Post by Tina »

Hi all
Apparently the 30p seeds are the ones that are most popular & some are sold out but there wasn't as many of these packs of seed .

Geoff is keeping records of most popular seed requests & how quickly they sell out to give David R feedback so he can tailor next yrs seed buying accordingly.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Update - seed arrived

Post by David_L »

Hi Jez

I managed to get some of this seed ( Doug Rowland also has it by the by). Assuming I manage to raise it I'll put you down for a seedling in about 3 years time! Yes the bag method (and preferably lights too so you can keep the wee things growing through the first winter) is just about essential if you want plants in real time. Seed viability can be an issue too. I think it's seed that needs to be as fresh as possible. Fresh seed harvested from my own standard disciformis plants August last year germinated like grass when sown a month later. Here's a picture of the seedlings at about 4 months.

Attachments
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg
2wCEAAgGBgYGBggGBggMCAcIDA4KCAgKDhANDQ4NDRARDA4NDQ4MEQ8SExQTEg8YGBoaGBgjIiIiIycnJycnJycnJycBCQgICQoJCwkJCw4LDQsOEQ4ODg4REw0NDg0NExgRDw8PDxEYFhcUFBQXFhoaGBg (95.36 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

David,

Thanks - I'll put it in my 2010 diary to watch out for a package from you! I might see if I can get some from Doug Rowland too and then with luck we can swap plants!

I tried to harvest some seed from my yellow disciformis.... the pods broke and the seed scattered all over the top of the plant..... it is so tiny I can't pick it up and it is still there about 4 months later!

Your seedlings look great.

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Jez

Have you checked as there was some strombo seed in the seed pool, I had some of phil white seed last yr & the germination was great.

I also had seed on my plants that burst & made a mess averywhere, I hadn't even noticed the pods were ready, must be more observant this yr!

David
Do you add layers of grit to keep the algae down ?.

I tried microwaving the soil in the pot the other day & melted one, made me unpopular with the smell :~)

Post Edited (01-04-07 10:16)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Hi Jez

I found the same happened to me with one pod. I managed to rescue quite a lot of seed by picking it up with a moistened artist's paint brush. I have one seedling of the "pulcherrimus" red flowered form raised from Rowland seed in 2004. It's still quite small, but I gather they flower small so I'm slightly hopefull for 2007. I'll put a photo on when I next get down to the greenhouse in decent light.

David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Hi Tina

It's important to keep algae and moss down with tiny fairly slow seedlings like Strombo in bags. I sprayed this sowing with 1% Armillatox outdoor cleaner made up in boiled rainwater as suggested recently in the Journal by David Quail immediately before placing them in the bag. It seems to be quite effective in preventing moss spores germinating and as you can see in my posting it certainly didn't prevent the Strombos. from germinating. When seedlings are a decent size after a month or so, I normally topdress with sterile coarse aquarium sand for tiny seedlings and various kinds of grit for bigger ones before replacing them in the bag. This is good against algae but not so good if moss really gets a hold.

David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Hi Jez

Here is the promised photo of Strombocactus disciformis "pulcherrimus". It is the one seedling I managed to raise from the 2004 Society seed offer. It spent 2 years "in the bag" under lights before coming into the greenhouse and is about 10-11mm in diameter. Probably another couple of years to flowering size on it's own roots

Attachments
2wCEAAgFBQUGBQgGBggLBwYHCw0KCAgKDQ8MDA0MDA8RDA0NDQ0MEQ8REhMSEQ8XFxkZFxciISEhIiYmJiYmJiYmJiYBCAkJEA4QHRQUHSAaFRogJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiY
2wCEAAgFBQUGBQgGBggLBwYHCw0KCAgKDQ8MDA0MDA8RDA0NDQ0MEQ8REhMSEQ8XFxkZFxciISEhIiYmJiYmJiYmJiYBCAkJEA4QHRQUHSAaFRogJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiY (97.75 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
David

Bromley Branch
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

What a beautiful wee plant, lovely spine pattern. I hope it flowers for you soon!

I will try to source some seed from the Rowlands (although I don't have their 2007 catalogue, I need to FAX a request to them).

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

My seeds arrived today and I got all but two of what I ordered. I sent my order 21 December. I also got several free packets of seed, apparently tailored to my interests. As a seed distribution first-timer I'm well pleased.

My Seed Pool and Chilean seeds also arrived today. It's clear I will have to build myself another propagator

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.