Opuntia malyana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Opuntia malyana

Post by iann »

Austrocylindopuntia lagopus, I think now. What does your other one look like? More like a Tephrocactus?

Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

They are both A. lagopus. I've read in several places that this seems a crazy decision because the two plants look very different (but, of course, "looking different" doesn't automatically mean they are different enough to warrant species status). I've never seen the original A. lagopus so I can't comment further.
PS: a google search produces many 'malyanus' plants and this which I agree looks different. The flowers/fruit/seed must be similar enough anyway.

How are you treating yours? I've only had mine a few months and I had to water it a bit as the stock was shrivelling up. I'm just a bit worried that in the low light conditions it'll grow weedy. The leaves are certainly not as green as yours.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

I must admit I chop mine up and graft the new growth onto a bit of cylindrical opuntia and they always take, but its a slow process waiting for new offsets. I also give a very small amount of water if the stock becomes too shrivelled. I have tried leaving a "base" to see if it produced shoots, mine died but I would have thought it should have worked.
I placed one on the garage roof this summer and it grew very well but it looked bad because the white hairs became a dirty grey very quickly
Member Bcss