Winter rest / Potting on

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Winter rest / Potting on

Post by Chris43 »

This last autumn has been the first time that I have grown on my seedlings rather than letting them have a normal winter rest along with the rest of the more adult plants.

My question now is - if I were to take the post out of the propagator and from under the lights, should I just withhold water, keep them coolish (7C? 12C?), and prick out in Spring? Or prick out now into dryish new compost, ready for the Spring?

What prompts this is the need to get some more seeds into the propagator. The existing seedlings are approximately 40% Mammillarias, 40% Eriosyce and the othes fairly varied, but nothing from Brazil or the Caribbean.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Winter rest / Potting on

Post by David_L »

Good question Chris! I'm faced with the same dilema. To be honest I was quite nervous about taking seedlings out of such a luxurious environment at this time of the year. I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Re: Winter rest / Potting on

Post by North Lincs Mike »

I have just solved the same problem. Went to Wyevales and spent ?25 on a second heated propagator.

Happy Christmas everyone

Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !