limestone chippings....

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jez
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: limestone chippings....

Post by Jez »

David,

As I mentioned in a post to Vlad - our tap water and the rain water that I collect in the garden are both acidic, so unfortunately this is not a good route. I may try sticking some washed shells at the bottom of one of the rain-water butts to see if, in the long term, I can get the pH up and then use this specifically for species that like alkaline conditions. Otherwise I am going to make a list of all the excellent tips that have come in since I posted my first message and see what I can get my hands on in terms of chippings/stones/bird grit etc..

cheers,

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.