mealy bugs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

mealy bugs

Post by scousetigger »

I have had a problem with my Cereus Hildmannianus monstrose. I found a few weeks ago that it was covered in white bits of wool and loads of mealy bugs, mainly the lower half of the plant. I have taken it out of the greenhouse and is in the unheated extention away from other cacti. I have treated it the way some of the old books I was given by a friend, who grew and showed cacti in the 60's and 70's. They suggest meths and nicotine solution. I had meths and as it happened, nicotine solution, which I had made up in the summer as it is supposed to be good for greenfly on roses etc.
I removed as many of the bugs as I could with a thin artist brush dipped in diluted washing-up liquid. Then I gave the whole plant a good spray and wash down with the meths/nicotine solution. It has actually had 2 treatments now. I seem to have succeeded in getting rid of the pests on the whole, but I do check it every other day and remove any I see, these mainly being small. I did think that I may lose the plant with rather drastic measures, but worked on the principle, better to lose one than many. It seems to be surviving ok though I did have to remove some small offshoots at the base which were just soggy masses. I dried the areas they came from and dusted with sulphur. Now I want to know, will it survive ok, do I need to treat it any more and will it be ok indoors over winter as it is in an unheated room with plenty of light from a 12' window? None of the other cacti have any signs of the pest.

Post Edited (12-29-06 12:35)
Attachments
4R4+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4R4+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (95.9 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: mealy bugs

Post by Phil_SK »

Regarding the mealy bugs I'm sure the plant won't suffer significantly from these or your remedy. The soft bits at the bottom concern me more. When you pulled off the dead bits what colour was the surface that you dusted with sulfur? Was it a healthy green colour or were there still brown bits? If there were still brown [rotten] bits the rot could spread back into the main plant.
Indoors will be fine. Unheated rooms are usually not as cold as they feel!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

They were green. I took them back to solid growth and dried thoroughly with kitchen towel and then dusted with sulpher.
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Hello

Sounds like an interesting potion.Just a few questions:
How do you prepare Nicotine solution and what exactly is Meths?
Thanks

Susanne
Susanne South Wales Branch
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Not sure if this is the right way, but when I used to be a smoker, I saved my ciggy butts and just soaked them until the liquid was as dark as I could get, and then used this to spray. I didn't have many cacti then, but did use it for roses.
Meths is methylated spirits, usually methyl acohol, dyed purple and with an additive to make it unpalatable, sold at hardware stores or chemists. It's a while since I bought any - prefer single malt now :)

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

There was a discussion on another cactus forum about how safe the use of soaked cigarettes/nicotine is. I felt that the stuff is more dangerous than I'd like to handle - it was banned for good reason. Commercially available insecticides might require you to spend a bit more money but it's probably worth it, especially if you buy a systemic one like Provado.
Incidentally, meths is mostly ethanol (ethyl alcohol), traditionally with a bit of methanol (methyl alcohol) as the undrinkable component. I think they've come up with less toxic/more unpalatable things to put in it, so 'methylated' is a bit of a misnomer. Not that any of that matters, it's still the purple stuff!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

I will get some Provado in the new year. I just used what I had to hand in an emergency.......at least I thought it was at the time.
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Did you check the roots?

Cheshire, UK
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

It was certainly me, Nick, who tried the Neem oil. I guess it is difficult to say for sure, as I had been pretty sure of no mealies or red spider beforehand owing to good use of Provado and Bug Clear previously.
But I can report no obvious signs so far. Just one thing, a few of my plants looked a bit over glossy, which means that I probably didn't mix the oil as thoroughly as I should on that last spray. But the next seemed to sort it out and the plants are growing fine, so no problem.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html