Is spring coming already?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Is spring coming already?  Solved

Post by Guest »

This Mammillaria hernandez is certainly starting to flower.
This is just 2.5 years old from seed and is on it's own roots it is about 2cm diameter.

Attachments
8A
8A (98.48 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Is spring coming already?

Post by Maria J »

Wow! 2cm, it's tiny!!
Look forward to seeing some pics when they open!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

It certainly doesn't seem like spring here. This guy is a similar size and seemed happy enough to "have a go", even though the flower never opened fully in the gloom. The pic. was actually taken before Christmas and most of the other buds never came to anything - Bob, hopefully you'll get a few to open at once on your lovely plant (looks a bit harder grown than mine too) and have a really nice picture for us!

Jez

Attachments
NG62
NG62 (70.53 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

What a sweet little seedling! And you can expect lovely pink flowers from it.

But.... spring??? My mamm. gracillis has not even gone to sleep yet!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Yes, spring is here. I saw the first purple crocus bulb flower emerging from our lawn today. Ridiculously early!

We have only had two nights with a ground frost here in London this winter.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
London, UK
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Hernandezy blooms do not mean spring is early , they mean fall is late :))
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Vladimir,

Yup, I guess you are right.... but at the same time we have to be thankful for any colour in the collection at this time of year.

Back to you with this though..... what would you consider a sign of Spring among your plants - Mam. solisioides (seems to have buds on all winter so it has a head start!), early Rebutias?

Cheers,

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Jes, I do not have such thing as early Rebutias - as some of them in bloom year around :))
Spring declares itself with buds on the plants that regulate themselves with the duration of daylight - for me that would be Mamm. senilis, Echinocereus mojavensis, Neoporterias nigrihorrida and nudis to name a few
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'll go with Echinocereus as a sign of spring, they certainly don't seem to try and flower in winter.

Cheshire, UK