Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Susanne
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Forum Seed Pool

Post by Susanne »

Hi Chris

I would be happy to try the old seeds! Also I would be happy to keep a diary and let everybody know the results.
I would pay for p&p.

Did you know that some seeds found in the tombs of the egyptian pyramids have been found to be viable? But as far as I know, they were mainly grains.

Susanne
South Wales Branch
Susanne South Wales Branch
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

OK, Suzanne, the list is available - so do try anything you like! After all the best way of avoiding the problem is to run out of seed!!!

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Hmmm... would the Conophytum frutescens be newb-friendly?

(I suspect not!)

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Conophytum frutescens sown April 2006.
[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... scens1.jpg[/img]

Although they look quite advanced, C. frutescens is a bilobe type which takes several years to develop its adult form and only then will it start to flower. Not hard compared to some Conophytums, just a little slow.

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Ian, thanks for the pic! They are sooo sweet, like little beans.

Assuming that I do them in a bag and am successful in keeping out nasties and get the water right, would they be fussier about eg. light/shade than a Gymno (amerhauseri) or forbies?

I also found some seeds labelled "cactus with big yellow flower 2002" (which would have been one my mother got bored with, so I don't remember what it was, but it died some years ago and I can't find a photo) so I will give those a try too. Nice surprise!

If anyone has grown that Gymno, I'd love to see pics. :)

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

You probably want someone else to tell you about how to sow Conophytum seeds but I can give you some general ideas from what works on other mesembs and what worked on these.

Don't expect to grow mesembs inside a plastic bag for a year! Take off the plastic after the seed germinates, or at most a few weeks later. The seedlings grow nicely under plastic but ultimately will rot or become so soft that they rot when the plastic is removed. Grow mesembs in full sun from an early age, not like most cacti, but water frequently. Sowing Conophytums in spring may seem a bit odd, they are "winter growers", but it works quite well. Terry Smale recommends it although he says to keep them shaded throughout the summer. I just grew them in full sun, shaded only during the July heatwave. They will sheath over at some point during their first summer but don't let them stay like this for long, keep watering and they will come out of it after a few weeks. You can see a few bits of the white dried sheath still clinging to some of the seedlings even now.

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Aaah, so they will be OK on a windowsill getting sun from 1pm to sunset, with car shades in the worst scorchiest days.

I will hopefully be away camping, hostelling or staying with friends in the summer, so it's possible I would be away for up to a month in one hit (with a bit of luck). I'd have to trust my mother with the baby conos... but if they grow slowly I would not miss much growth! :)

Btw - how big is that pot? The seedlings seem about 5mm across?

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

The largest one is 11mm. The dish is a microwave cooking bowl with holes drilled in the bottom. I was a little short of suitable trays ;)

Mesemb seedlings and window sills don't mix too well, lack of air movement means they can boil! I grow mine in a cold frame during their first summer, lots of light, lots of air movement, and cool nights. My half-cat-litter soil means I can water them almost every day when it is hot and it is almost impossible to overwater them.

Cheshire, UK
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Dear Chris

Thank you!
I was very excited when I read your message.
I was unable to workout how to find a seedlist on the woodedge site.
I did see an updated seedlist a few days ago, but it did not show which seeds were old.
Can you help?

Susanne
South Wales Branch
Susanne South Wales Branch
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Hi Susanne,

I've sent you an e-mail with the Excel file attached!
The 'age' of the seed is in column 'H'.

Best wishes

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!