Anhalonium anyone?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Anhalonium anyone?

Post by iann »

L. Jourdaniana (Anhalonium Lewinii)

And I quote "extremely rare and highly sought after cactus" and "This species is very rarely offered for sale on eBay" :)

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Anhalonium anyone?

Post by Julie »

Now that is different!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

No wonder it's extremely rare Ian - I've never heard of Anhalonium, lol!!!

Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Nice bit of lateral thinking. You can't argue with "rarely offered on eBay"!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

I follow this item for about 2 weeks because I am curious about it! I think it is not a cluster but 3 or 4 Lop. put in 1 pot and that makes a price of about 4?!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

To me it looks like a plant that has been too heavily fertilised, and has grown and sprouted oddly. Perhaps a degraft?

To quote one website, Anhalonium lewisii "weakens the heart, produces insanity, and causes a form of intoxication...............Also visions of monsters and various gruesome forms". Hmmm......a self description?

Its just a odd looking Loph. williamsii, and in my view anyone paying more than a fiver must be mad. Just my opinion of course....clearly not that of the guy who has bid ?48 so far...I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I should be more tolerant. Maybe that's my New Year's good resolution...

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

It does look like a degrafted plant, especially if it really is a single plant. To me it actually looks like it is still on a graft (although the listing says own roots), sitting up there unnaturally above the soil. Probably only just been potted up :)

Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Hi ian,

I completly agree with you on this it is either a grafted or recently degrafted plant. I have done dozens of Lophophora and grown them on a graft until they are about 10cm diameter and then rooted them. They then take several years to look 'normal' I only did these for my own collection and the picture shows one after 3 years of being on it's own roots but it still shows signs of the pumped up grafting.

Attachments
8A
8A (53.86 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

Post by Guest »

This is another one 18 months after taking off the graft, you will see the tufts only seem to develop after removal from the graft.

Attachments
8A
8A (65.31 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Mr Crimson
Registered Guest

Post by Mr Crimson »

Hi Bob,

nice plants you got there.

I was actually looking around for pics of degrafted lophs, as I am curious how they will look after growing on own roots for a while (I want mine to look as close to natural as possible)

I have some "rarely sold on ebay" grafts myself, mounted on Pereskiopsis. One of them (around 8 months old) have had tufts on it for several weeks, seems like its going to flower soon. I also have 6 months old v.Decipiens which seems to develop tufts.

Oyvind