Repotting time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Repotting time

Post by iann »

No roots on that one, Lindsey, so I didn't take any pictures ;)

Most are seedlings from 2005, L. lesliei and L. coleorum are older.

Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Hope my N. mammulosus has roots like that one day!!
My seedlings from last April-ish are still quite small...

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I've found it to be quite vigorous, Maria. Happy with lots of sun and heat (plus water obviously) even when young.

Cheshire, UK
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I have various Lithops & one plant of Pleiospilos nellii, all have been fine in an unheated greenhouse for the last several winters. I do ventilate well, & they haven't been watered since September so should be completely dry. In that state, they all seem to tolerate a bit of frost, though I couldn't guarantee that for every Lithops species. Titanopsis (various) and odd other mesembs (Rabiea, Bijlia & Conphytum) are OK with these conditions.

Mike T
Sheffield branch
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Thanks for the info, Mike, I'd wondered about Bijlia but couldn't find a lot of information.

Titanopsis calcarea is extremely cold hardy but not very tolerant of winter water, mine are still trying to flower outside although I wouldn't exactly call it winter yet ;)

Some of the western Lithops species are not so hardy, to the extent that Steven Brack describes the coastal L. optica and the almost coastal L. ruschiorum as not tolerating any frost at all even in his desert conditions. I don't have plants of those species that I'm prepared to lose, possibly I'll try some L. herrei next winter. You just never know how hardy they are until you've killed some!

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

So, Mike, you don't water your nelii at all until spring?

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Hi Mike,

I'm a bit surprised to read you watered your conos for the last time in Spetember because they're wintergrowing plants.
In september they only had there second watering here in Belgium.
I gave my conos water the last time somewhere in december, and will probably do once more in february.

Tom Jacobs

Growing Mesembs, a way of life...