Schumannia article on germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Schumannia article on germination

Post by Julie »

Can't find it in English either..... this one may or may not be helpful.... it's free and in English....

:D

Post Edited (01-09-07 22:49)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Interesting little mention of Maihuenia as needing cool moist stratification. I suspect that is unique amongst cacti.

Its good to read these papers, or at least the abstracts!. Many of the things we worry about and discuss repeatedly have been studied extensively, not for every species but for a good cross-section. The effects of embryo maturation, the intensity, duration, and wavelength of light (or the lack in some cases) required for germination, and the germination rates at different temperatures, are all great things to know.

I'm staring at my Rebutia seeds at the moment, wondering if they are too warm. The Echinocereus, Thelocactus, Copiapoa, and even Escobaria are all sprouting. I've had poor results in the past, I don't know if my technique is not good for them or maybe they don't store well. Or need to be stored longer!

Cheshire, UK
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

tried Maihuenia last year from MesaGarden seeds. All ten seeds germinated writhing 5 days or so with no special treatment. Died easily from fungi - probably need some special attention - like dry air right after germination.. Will try again.

A lot more intimidating topic is germination of Tefro and other opuntoides. There is some black mystery in it..
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Whilst it's true many things have been studied it's also true we have many different answers.
As you were mentioning Rebutias according to Brian Fearn xanthocarpa have an optimum germination tempreture of 15C and a range of 9C to 26C. He also states certain South American seeds have a germination rate of as little as11.3C (11.5 to 22.8)
Member Bcss
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Nick

I have checked & Colin has this, would you like me to scan it & send as a PDF file.
There are 10 pages of german with graphs so you will need to be busy with your translation books:~)

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Hmmm... someone could write a book on this topic. Everyone who ever intends to grow a cactus seed could benefit from a reference text.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

What a coincidence Julie, I was just pondering the other day that a propagation book on cacti with info seed growing, grafting cuttings etc. would be good. Maybe there's just not enough sound information.

Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Hello Tina

I am hoping to do my first attempts in sowing soon. ( As soon as my ordered seeds arrive I send the order form to the BCSS of on the 3.1.07)

I would also be interested in the article.

Do you think that you could sent me a copy too?

Thank You

Susanne
Susanne South Wales Branch