Haworthia reinwardtii var chalumnensis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aloenut
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Haworthia reinwardtii var chalumnensis

Post by Aloenut »

This is starting to offset from the base but the suckers are too small to be seen yet.
[attachment 1704 Haw_rein.jpg]
Attachments
wAARCAHgAUA
wAARCAHgAUA (34.44 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

Re: Haworthia reinwardtii var chalumnensis

Post by Guest »

Are Haworthia reinwardtii and coarctata one and the same?

I have reinwardtii v. olivacea (large plant) and coarctata v. olivacea (cutting last summer) and they do look pretty much the same.

Magnificent colour once the sun gets to work on them.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Your two plants are probably the same Mike, both reinwardtii forma olivacea (one I don't have yet)

coarctata are simular but different.

According to Bruce Bayer's book the differences are:

the ratio of stem to leaf diameter is 1:1.7 in coarctata and 1:1.2 reinwardtii;

coarctata leaves are less densely arranged on the stem;

tubules are larger, flatten and whiter on reinwardtii than coarctata.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Frank, should it do that at this time of year? I wonder this because I have a houseleek which is sprouting sideshoots like mushrooms in the rain... surely this should be a spring thing?

Unless your Haworthia is a winter-active plant....?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Take your pick with Haworthia Julie, quite a few are winter growers, in the greenhouse it's a very delicate balancing act between keeping them going and them not turning to mush through over watering.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

That was a very astute observation by Bruce Bayer - how to differentiate Haworthias coarctata and reinwardtii. If I remember correctly, coarctata has 5 & 8 leaves per spiral, while reinwardtii has 8 & 13 leaves in the two directions, and is hence broader. It always worked for checkable plants with field data, but there are a lot of mis-named old plants in cultivation.

So Aloenut's plant fits reinwardtii. I find it a challenging plant to keep in good condition as it gets larger - old leaves die erratically and it falls apart from the middle of a cluster. Slow as well! One of my favourites.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote]Apicra Wrote:

So Aloenut's plant fits reinwardtii. I find it a challenging plant to keep in good condition as it gets larger - old leaves die erratically and it falls apart from the middle of a cluster. Slow as well! One of my favourites.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble [/quote]

I am glad it's not just me. The other problem I find is the if the odd leaf dies off it looks unsightly.