seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

seedlings

Post by scousetigger »

Some seedlings I sowed about 4 days ago. The large one at the back has me stumped. Any ideas? It looks a bit like one someone posted last week...a Hoodia.
Attachments
4SZURXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4SZURXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (97.48 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Re: seedlings

Post by scousetigger »

a close up. There were 3 seeds in this pot but only one up at the moment. The seeds were like crinkled orange pips.
[attachment 1718 seedlings2.jpg]
Attachments
4RJvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4RJvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (83.74 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

if they were cacti seeds I would think an Opuntia if they were succulents Iwould not know
Member Bcss
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Dear Scousetigger

Do you know what temperature your propagator runs at? I believe the recommended germination temperature is over 20 C Degree, but can only find those that run at 15-20 Degree in the DIY+garden shops.
Susanne South Wales Branch
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I'll second that Roy, possibly Opuntia (but would they germinate in 4 days?). My Hoodia seeds were long, narrow, flat and brown, so it can't be that.

I'm a bit worried about that compost Scousetigger - it looks very high in organic matter (peat?). Watch out for the dreaded sciara fly if your pots are not safely enclosed in self sealing bags - they love that sort of compost. This year I am mostly using 9 parts Cornish grit to 1 part John Innes No. 2, and growing them in bags.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

I used proper cacti compost for the seeds Phil. Susanne, I started them of in a propagator in the unheated extention,which can get to about 17c during the day. As they started showing I put them in the greenhouse,still in the propagators,so that they didn't start bending to the light.Up to now we have had no frost so keeping fingers crossed that my heater in there will be enough,set on frost setting,as well as whatever heat the propagator gives.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

I'd add a speech bubble to that sweet little seedling - "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!"

I'll be interested to see what it turns into.

Incidentally, is perlite good for seed-growing mixes?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Perlite is fine, except that it tends to go green in moist seedling pots, and it floats or blows about.

"Proper" cacti compost, as in cactus compost from a bag saying "cactus compost" on the label, is 95% likely to be awful, believe it or not.
Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

I can believe it! I had a bonsai in so-called bonsai soil, and it contained perlite. The wretched bits just floated to the surface, and in a year the soil became compacted. It probably only survived because of three small worms which I found when I repotted it.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

I agree that garden centre "cactus compost" is best avoided. Some South American genera which favour a lower pH such as Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Gymnocalycium like it well enough for its peat content. However it quickly looses nutrients, is very light when dry, making pots unstable, and attracts Sciara flies (and root mealy too I suspect. A good brand of John Innes is always better, sieved if needed to remove the bigger bits. Just add extra grit, Tescos Premium lightweight cat litter, vermiculite etc as the plant needs.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.