Animated Icons  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Animated Icons

Post by Guest »

How do you filter out all the animated icons. They look really tacky.
And extremely distracting. Its the same with animated Adverts I have to position the window so the animations is off screen so It cant distract from the body of the text.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Animated Icons

Post by iann »

The naminated icons are images displayed by the forum in response to certain combinations of characters. This can be turned on or off by the mods if it is deemed too annoying.

You can control the behaviour within some of the more recent browsers. For example, Firefox has an animation mode which may be set to not animate, or to just animate through one cycle. The same feature will control some adverts.

Other adverts are flash animations, or possibly even things like ActiveX applets. These can also be controlled, again details depend on your browers.
Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Personally,

I have no problem with the icons and I do not see them as an issue, they are very common in almost all message board software and are a good way of showing the mood of the poster which prevents misunderstanding.

As regards animated advertisement I am not aware we have any and we do not allow advertising on this board although people to advertise sites. We do not mind individuals saying they are selling something but comercial advertising is not done. I think the other moderators will agree on this.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Agreed Bob!
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Well, at the moment we are playing with the new toys. I guess we will get bored with the more wacky faces and use them less in time.

If a few people find them annoying, we can just use the static ones.

I tend to use : ) , ; ) , : ( and : D in text, and it's nice when they turn into little faces.

This forum is one of the nicest for readability I know (as well as non-transient content). Some forums have funky patterned backgrounds and frilly fonts where it's hard to read the text, and it's common for people to express themselves with lots of smileys, eg. :) :) :) :) :) for being really happy about something.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.

Re: Animated Icons  Solved

Post by Guest »

I have managed to turn the animated icons off from IE6 tools/Options/Advanced/Multimedia.

When I was referring to adverts I was referring to other sites that basically are unsuable because so many pixels move around that it it is impossible to read.