Habitat pics - Las Vegas

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mr Crimson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Habitat pics - Las Vegas

Post by Mr Crimson »

thanks for posting, great pics ! :)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Great shots. The plants are damp but I'm guessing they haven't had a lot of rain yet this year?
Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Great pics, Vladimir! And what lovely red spines! I'd be interested to know if they grow this strongly coloured in the UK.. anybody have one?

I wonder why they are red? Surely they don't need to tell the herbivores, "Don't eat me, I'm red and dangerous!"
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Julie, spines are wet - that is why. I have posted some closeups of that spicies before - thay are dirty-gray-brown, not so colorful when dry.
Growing spines that large in UK - that would be a challange

Iann - it was September, the first may be rain that season. I was camping when it started - a lot of hissing sounds emerging from the soil (not sure soil is apliccable word?) and very dense smells of wet plants and rocks - like usual grass smell when it rains after drought, but multiplied by x100
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Sounds like a beautiful camping experience, Vladimir. My camping has been confined to music and hippy festivals so far, which requires different survival skills, and... er... have different scents!

I'd like to go somewhere really wild (as in remote!) but I think I'd be terrified not to be surrounded by other tents.

Is there something in the soil there, which is needed for large spines? I always thought they were sort of plant keratin equivalent, but do they contain minerals such as calcium from alkaline soil?

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Vladimir
Registered Guest

Post by Vladimir »

Julie, it is hard to be along when you camo within 5 miles of a large city like Vegas :))

[img]http://cactuslove.ru/phorum/file.php?22,file=4973[/img]

Speaking of spines.. Why you think calcium matters? Spines are not bones and plants are not animals :) Spines are made of wood - sort of, which is chemically almost sugar - carbo-hydrates..

There are svevral enviromental factors that add to growing large spines. These are:
- plants must be healthy and well, and well-fed :))
- A lot of sun helps, but not to much - plants must be healthy, remember;
- Large day-night temperature range seems to help, not sure about all plants - again may be it is just that healthy thing. There is some link between CAM efficiency and low night temperaures.
- it is known that spines grouth is stimulated by local concentranion of gibberelines in areole, not sure how use that knowledge for artifitial stimulation
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hello Vladimir

Excellent set of pictures , thanks for sharing. I am glad I have broadband awfull lot thier in one post ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Aaah I see. I wondered what they are made of!

Still a beautiful campsite... and less neighbours than here... I can't say where in the pic our camp was, as I lost my sense of direction. I think it might be off the left hand side. We were by an empty field, anyhow... being among the last to arrive.

[attachment 1747 wacken2006.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (18.82 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Can someone please explain what CAM is? It has been mentioned twice recently and I think I have kind of heard of it but I can't think what it is

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

I was wondering that too....