questions for the seed growers.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jamesfe
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

questions for the seed growers.

Post by jamesfe »

I'm using the baggie method for germination of seeds and so far have had good luck with germination. I sowed seeds the week between Christmas and New Year so they have not been in the baggies very long. My mesembs sprouted very quick and with them being so small I got them out of the baggies in fear of them melting. As for the cacti they look good today but I'm I know some of the small ones could melt in no time at all. Not from heat but from water intake. With all this said I'm thinking of getting them in a larger flat with a plastic dome. Or maybe open the baggies so the can dry out a little bit. First question, how long should seedlings be left in the baggies ? So far I have not open them except for one. Second question, I forgot to spread a thin layer of grit or medium over the seeds so some of seedlings are laying on their sides , will they up-right them self or should I coxed them up-right with a toothpick or something? So far this looks to be my best crop but time will only tell. Thanks for any advice. Jim
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: questions for the seed growers.

Post by iann »

Leave them alone as long as possible. The only reason that they will melt is from fungal contamination, although slow-growing species may get overtaken by algae or moss if spores got in the bag. Assuming you have a moderately free-draining soil. The lying down ones should right themselves as they grow provided they have decent light. The mesembs are OK in the open air although don't let the soil dry out until they grow a bit more. Anyone care to add any cactus species that don't like being locked in a bag for months?
Cheshire, UK
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

I think there are a few real trickies like Yavia cryptocarpa that don't like it. Otherwise I would only point out that unless you can provide a lot (ie "natural" levels) of light, then quick growers like some Rebutias, Lobivias, quick growing Opuntias and cerei will etiolate quite quickly and badly in bags. Usually they will recover later in air and light, but they are very prone to burning during recovery.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

If you are worried about excessive condensation inside any bags you can always take out the pot and soak up the water in the bag with a paper towel. If compost seems too wet you can remove some water by standing the pot on a paper towel for a while. I have uprighted some seedlings and surrounded them with grit to hold them in place. You need a steady hand of course, because they are very delicate.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.