Austrian weekend

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sandi
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Austrian weekend

Post by sandi »

Hi,
John where in Austria were you?

Sandi
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

To Roy, with a hangover like I had there was no point in looking under any bench, because a technicolor yawn would have followed!!
To Phil, all the greenhouses were built with triple glaze plastic which seems to be about one third of the price that we can get it for,and the sheets appeared to be much larger than we see, and the gas and electric are still much cheaper than in this country. When I said that fuel prices had risen 100% and more in less than two years they were incredulous.
To Sandi, all the collections visited were within an hours drive of Linz. Stanstead to Linz return by Ryanair was ?27 including taxes.
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Austrian gas and electricity prices are still higher than the UK, although the gap is much less than it was a couple of years ago. Prices have actually decreased recently, even in 2006, as monopolies were broken up. Austrian household natural gas and electricity is taxed at over 30% which is now the main difference between prices in the two countries.

Now if I could just find some nice 8mm triplewall going cheap ;) Solid polycarbonate, clear like glass, is now starting to appear in the UK, I think it was Eden that were offering it on some of their greenhouses.
Cheshire, UK
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Hi John

Did you get to any of the big Turb collections in that area??

If so any pics??
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

John, it is important to approach these thing scientifically. For a reliable result, you should make three tests and take the average of the three results, eg. drink three pints of beer just to be sure that it's good. :) I'll look out for Ybbs if I ever get further south than the north of Germany.

Oooh, I look into my crystal ball and see a mini biome in Ian's garden, bulging with mesembs. :D
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Hi Rob
The only Turbs that we saw were at Linz Botanical Gardens and quite a few specimens were confiscated from collectors going through various airports.
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

I understand Linz BG has a fair collection - that would explain how!!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.