Propagator

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Propagator

Post by Julie »

Aaah, it's much smaller and less of a migraine hazard now! :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Nice looking set up ! Hope it brings lots of happiness - I know mine does - best part of the hobby is watching the little guys sprout !

Are you intending to always use the baggie method or will you use the full cover at some stage ?

And like you say, time will tell on the lighting. In my own case my propagator was in a bright laundry and I supplemented that light with 3 x 18W flouro's but I'm still not happy with the light and see signs of etoliation, so I use that set up where I can best control temp, water, etc to germinate and once the seedlings are a week or so old I'm moving them into another propagator in the green house. This has better natural lighting, but is a bit harder to manage with water and temp.

Good luck with it all !
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

With Sympathy

Post by Lindsey »

Hi Julie

Sorry to hear you've lost some mesembs. It happens to all of us, from time to time. I remember how I felt when I lost my first Lithops optica rubra (a newbie mistake)... but the best antidote is to get a replacement. Which one perished? Maybe I/others can help?

Lindsey.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Lyndsey, thanks. :) But I have too many plants already, I think I have to cut down. I also feel I don't want another Nelii.

Rubra is really lovely. I don't dare get one yet! Let's see if I can keep the easy lithops for a couple of years first.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.