Gordonii

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Gordonii

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, All.

Don't need it myself.
[attachment 1908 docu0043.jpg]
Attachments
7QDeUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAMEcAlAAC1BpY2FzYSAyLjAAHAJ1AJg8aGVsbG9zdGFtcD4KIDxnaWQ+MC0wLTdmZmZmZmZmLTA8L2dpZD4KIDxtZDU+MC0wLTAtMDwvbWQ1PgogPG9yaWdXaWR0aD4wPC9vcmlnV2lkdGg+CiA8b3JpZ0hlaWdodD4wPC9vcmlnSGVpZ2h0PgogPG9yaWd
7QDeUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAMEcAlAAC1BpY2FzYSAyLjAAHAJ1AJg8aGVsbG9zdGFtcD4KIDxnaWQ+MC0wLTdmZmZmZmZmLTA8L2dpZD4KIDxtZDU+MC0wLTAtMDwvbWQ1PgogPG9yaWdXaWR0aD4wPC9vcmlnV2lkdGg+CiA8b3JpZ0hlaWdodD4wPC9vcmlnSGVpZ2h0PgogPG9yaWd (61.51 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Cheers Agavegeoff.

Long time Gloucester and District Branch member. NCCPG Agave collection holder.

Re: Gordonii

Post by Guest »

Geoff,

Nothing beats will power, thsi is just another way of taking money from the weak willed.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

If Hoodia can make me look like that, then .... I don't want any!
Cheshire, UK
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Apparently the raw plant is eaten by native tribesmen, which supresses their appetites whilst they go hunting for 2-3 days.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Hmm.. interesting, Vic.

Bob, I agree!

Well, she has bigger boobs than me, perhaps I should raid your greenhouses and get munching on the contents! :D
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

.....be satisfied with nature.....I know a lady that wished in her sleep for everything a man would want and when she woke up she had big muscles a hairy chest.
[attachment 1913 bbc.gif]
Attachments
hvDvdrKfVcaqIHmPYNnvoB6PdhipCQBJuaPYuvF4a
hvDvdrKfVcaqIHmPYNnvoB6PdhipCQBJuaPYuvF4a (42.44 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Member Bcss
Mr Crimson
Registered Guest

Post by Mr Crimson »

Yep, gordonii is a well known apetite-suppressant, though I doubt your boobs will be affected :D

However, you could try it out, and post before/after-pictures :P
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Folks,

I feel there's a big issue here around conservation of these plants.

Hoodias aren't that easy to grow and don't seem to grow especially quickly. So if these slimming preparations - I'm very reluctant to call these medications - really take off then I firmly believe this will put the natural populations under severe threat.

Any views on this?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

If one of my family was dying I would use anything at all to cure them whether it was the last surviving specimen or not. However this seems to just commercial exploitation of a resource for cash.
However if I was on the poverty line and this was my only source of income I could well take a different view
[attachment 1914 Animation8.gif]
Attachments
f3aBhIVYDJFXJ49xE49zL6J7DqN5KYRfRYx4S5N3ZKR5RKh0cJaHC5mIL6+OE66RMLajEbilMJaIUZONbZ2hd6yTT6mYbLmmULapccOaFsSdKMy
f3aBhIVYDJFXJ49xE49zL6J7DqN5KYRfRYx4S5N3ZKR5RKh0cJaHC5mIL6+OE66RMLajEbilMJaIUZONbZ2hd6yTT6mYbLmmULapccOaFsSdKMy (98.69 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Member Bcss
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Hi All,

Hoodias have been used by the Hottentot tribes of Southern Africa (Botswana & Namibia) as an appetite suppresant for thousands of years.
A few years ago some of the big drug manufacturers identified the active agent in the plants and started harvesting them to produce these tablets on a commercial basis.

Aloenut