Is this a mammillaria/

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Juliette
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Is this a mammillaria/

Post by Juliette »

I presume by where the flowers appear that this is a mammillaria but have had no joy trying to find it in any of my books to know which one. Can any one help please?

Thanks
Juliette
[attachment 1952 whoami2.JPG]
Attachments
4QeKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAIAA4BAgAgAAAAbgAAAA8BAgAUAAAAjgAAABABAgARAAAAogAAADEBAgAJAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAgIGmHBAABAAAA1gEAAKXEBwAEAQAA0gAAAAAAAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9MWU1QVVMgQ09SUE9SQVRJT04
4QeKRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAIAA4BAgAgAAAAbgAAAA8BAgAUAAAAjgAAABABAgARAAAAogAAADEBAgAJAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAgIGmHBAABAAAA1gEAAKXEBwAEAQAA0gAAAAAAAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9MWU1QVVMgQ09SUE9SQVRJT04 (37.43 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Juliette Hatt
Luton Branch
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Is this a mammillaria/

Post by Chris43 »

It looks like a rather shrunken, dark spined version of Mammillaria microhelia to me, Juliette.

Check it against this photo - http://www.mammillarias.net/gallery/vie ... s_030504_1

I think you'll see the similarity. This site is a good one fo Mamms, lots of photos, and not just of the most common form.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

What lovely spines! Three black ones in every white daisy.

So, it needs some water? My small mamm has really shrunk, it's only an inch high and I can't resist giving it a tiny amount of water.

On the Deserts documentary with David Attenborough which was posted here a month or so ago, there was a time-lapse sequence of barrel cacti before and after the rain, I was amazed just how much they expand and contract.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I was hoping someone else might have commented on this. It does look like M. microhelia but the spines appear almost black in the photo. M. microhelia is variable but I have never seen it with spines that dark.

It may be a little thirsty, but not badly parched. I can't see the skin, but the areoles don't look to be bunched up as they would on a very shrunken plant.

We do pamper our plants, don't we Julie. I give out advice all the time to let plants stay dry over winter even when they are quite wrinkled, but I have been known to stray a little too close with the watering can when nobody is looking! I blame it on those winter growing succulents that force me to get the water out ;)
Cheshire, UK
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

iann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M. microhelia is variable but I have never seen it
> with spines that dark.

Mine has dark spines too (not completely black, just very dark red). Are there any Mammillaria species that can be confused with M. microhelia? I thought it was quite distinctive (but I don't know much about Mammillaria).
[attachment 1957 Mammillaria_microhelia_060318.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA (48.08 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Mine has quite dark spines too but with pink flowers!
[attachment 1961 Mamm_microheliasm.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (90.85 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

M. microhelia is a species that has been given a number of names over the years. I think that the pink flowered variant was at one time called microheliopsis, a variant called droegeana has darker spines I think also.
Just put it down to natural variability - look for example at M. elongata and the multitude of spine colours that this has. I don't think there has been much "fresh" habitat seed circulating of this species in recent years, apart from Michel Lacoste's ML285, so what we have is probably only a few clones, amongst which specific cultivars have been propagated more than others.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Yes I have 3 very different looking M. elongatas!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Juliette
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Juliette »

Thank you for everyones assistance. I will get the plant labelled up this week & put it with all the other Mamms. I'm sure I have another M. microhelia but with spines no where near as dark. Hence, it didn't occur to me what this plant was. I can't remember what colour flowers the dark spined one has. Hopefully I will be reminded in a couple of months time when it flowers again.

Juliette
Juliette Hatt
Luton Branch