weather

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

weather

Post by Roy »

Well it's been a nice day here on the Yorkshire Riviera. I could actually feel the heat of the sun on the back of my neck as I was potting up outside. Even the greenhouse vent opened up a little.
One or two plants are now beginning to produce Bud's. I have seen them go back dormant again for another month at this time of year.
Frost again tonight though
[attachment 2059 krainziana.jpg]
Attachments
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA (66.64 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Member Bcss
Bill
Branch: None

Re: weather

Post by Bill »

Yes my vents opened a bit today too, was a glorious day,

I was busy potting up the new arrivals, but did have the chance to notice the odd bud on Mam. plumosa. BTW there are no gaps at the moment and it's not quite so tidy :)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

That's what I like to hear, a working greenhouse :-))))
Member Bcss
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Roy, that looks a whopping cactus, how big is it?

Well, the nights are supposed to be cold but it wasn't that cold here last night. (Northants.) The stars were so nice that I decided to sleep with the curtains open... usually I shut them when it's dinnertime so that it stays warmer when I'm not in there to get claustrophobic :P

Woke up later on and thought it was light, but it was the moon blinding me. Was quite snug though.

Had the windows open today, and it was not cold. And another starry night tonight.

We have two inches of crocus shoots in the lawn, midges around the treetop and the doves were being romantic. It should be colder!!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Julie,
no it's only a small multiheaded Rebutia krainziana in a 3" pot
Member Bcss
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Aaah... thanks Roy. Looking at it again, the spikes are a bit translucent, so it must be a wee one at high zoom.

Hope you get wee pink flowers!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

I hope I get big ones :-)
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lovely days, crisp frosty nights, lots of passive solar heating, have to keep an eye on those sensitive plants that burn at this time of year. Oh, and thick freezing fog last night, that was fun :)
Cheshire, UK
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

One for Bill,
one of my plumosa's (the bog standard form) has been flowering most of the winter but strangely the golf ball form has not but they both flowered last year.
I like them but they are a heartbreak plant for me. I once grew one to 14" and then I repotted it. All the warning signs were there, just 25mm long roots and plenty of them. I planted it back in what was really a large pot saucer in nearly just grit and watered very carefully but one day I went into the greenhouse and I had a 14" pile of mush. They seem to collapse overnight for no really obvious reason
[attachment 2072 plumosa.jpg]
Attachments
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA (54.11 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Member Bcss
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to loose a plumosa overnight. Was one of the first plants I had when I really started getting into cacti and succulents 3 or 4 years ago. Fine one evening next morning collapsed into mush, haven't be brave enough to try again yet.
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.