weather

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: weather

Post by Bill »

Tell me about it I am on my third and biggest so far, as you say they seem to fall over for no apparent reason. Mines in a 10 inch dish and I now just show it the watering can occasionaly, seeems to be thriving.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

Well there you go Victoria , you are as skillful as we are :-)
Member Bcss
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

temps in the uk are set to go as low as -7 degC 19F tonight :shock: :shock: with a forecast of up to 4 inches of snow on thursday :?

my area

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2218
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

-6.5 last night and still -1.5 even thougn the sun is shining. Perhaps living on top of a hill in Derbyshire is a bad move. Mind you the greenhouse only dipped to 7.5 so the heating is working.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Yes -7 c when I left for work at 7.55 this morning!!
My kitchen was down to 6.5 c overnight, which leads me to ask:

are there any cactis species which won't tolerate this low for the odd night here & there? (I don't have any Melos...)

I know 'minimum temperature' questions have been asked a few times on this board, but it's usually for unheated GHs. I doubt (& hope!!) my kitchen will ever get colder than 6 c...
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!

Post by Guest »

Maria.

6C is ok for most cacti, if you have no melocactus or discocactus you should be ok. I have no idea about other suuculents though.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

A thick frost everywhere when looking out this morning, and doves in their nest.

The forbies and lithops were at 13 C about 8am, so likely they went below 10 C in the night. But all are dry apart from the houseleeks.

If Lithops need to be in the room rather than on the sill, right by the glass, please tell me. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Glad I don't live in Minnesota it's -28C.

Grand Canyon -4C.

Tucson +9C.
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Bob! :) That's a relief! (I don't have Discocactus either)
Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

I too am glad I don't live there! Brrrrr!! (edit - oh well, been trying to find a cold smiley but couldn't!! Lol)
Maria