whats the point of shows  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: whats the point of shows

Post by Julie »

Derek kicks ass again! :)

I have never been to a cactus show, but if I were to ask myself what I were to gain, I think I would love to coo over the cacti that would otherwise be locked away in the growers' greenhouses, away from my eye. After poorly-potted and not so well looked after cacti in garden centres, it'd be a real treat.

I'd probably have a natter to people, how old is this plant, have you grown seeds from it, etc., have a waffle about Forbies..

I might even leave with a spikey (if there were no funkily-patterned Mesembs...)

If I were to take along a plat to show... a forby?

However, the only one I feel I can really show would be my old girl, who is a bit lopsided and corked, and not really show material. Also, she has nothing like textbook flowers. Girlie is the most perfect forby, but she has grown so little since I got her that I can't take credit for her loveliness.

My "show plant" would have to be an unnamed houseleek which I have had since it was tiny, about 5 years ago. Or my ancient chives clump. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: whats the point of shows  Solved

Post by Apicra »

Yes, there is something for everyone at shows!

So long as your plant is healthy and free from pests, then it should be welcome on the showbench and will make a contribution to fascinate the general public. You can get a sense of satisfaction even without winning.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Ernie

Re: whats the point of shows

Post by Ernie »

I asked the question and got some interesting replies however maybe its time to call a halt to this topic.

There was no hidden agenda behind the question; its interesting to read what others think of shows. Thanks to all who contributed.