whats the point of shows  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

whats the point of shows

Post by Ernie »

lets see how long this thread lasts.

I ask the question what is the point of shows if people with plenty of money can simply get big habitat collected plants from Europe and stick them on the show bench within weeks of such a purchase?

It proves nothing and does nothing other than servicing egos.
Bill
Branch: None

Re: whats the point of shows

Post by Bill »

I know what you mean Ernie, it's not just habitat collected but buying any mature plant and sticking it on the bench.

I run the Flower section of our local horticutural and craft show and we have a rule that all plants must have been in the exhibitors ownership for at least one growing season.

BTW I don't show in c&s shows that's not what I grow them for although I will stick a few into local horticultral shows just show them off ;).

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Are you not supposed to have owned the plant your showing for at least six months ??
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

But to be honest is that even long enough, is it right that I could buy a 20yr plant now, put it a show in 6mths time and beat your plant that you have spent the last 5yrs carefuly tending.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

How can anyone prove that a plant has been in their ownership for more than 6 days let alone 6 months or 6 years?
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Maybe we have a unique situation here in NI. our judges havn't changed in a long time. They know if a new "specimen" plant suddenly appears. I don't know how you would eliminate the problem, short of plant registration but how could that be controlled ? I suppose its down to consience, or if you could happily take the prize with a new top dollar plant ?? over someone who has grown thier plant for a long time...
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Just one reason why I asked the original question.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

interesting.......but where do you draw the line ? i just got back into growing cacti 6 months ago after a break of 20 years. to get back into it in a reasonable way i have bought 200 plants in the last 6 months, 40 of them last month........ are you saying i can't show any of my plants ??
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

That's the rule but I don't know how it can be enforced. It would be interesting to hear a judge's point of view on that. Given the obvious interest, and given that the BCSS is involved in the vast majority of shows where such plants would appear, there is an obvious opportunity to make a difference. See IOS thread ...

Back to the original point, I like going to shows to see a selection of (hopefully!) well-grown plants. I have even entered plants into my annual branch show, our plants are considered one of the major draws at the Wilmslow Show each year. And then you can always have a gossip about which plant you think should have won. Never the same as the judges, of course ;)
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Got an overlap with you there, Hob. Theoretically yes, you shouldn't be showing those new plants. The reason being that we can all go down to the cactus nursery and see their plants, there is no need to see the exact same thing at a show. When they are your plants, scorched, battered, bloated, or developed perfectly, but the most important point is by your own hand, then there is a point. Six months probably isn't enough to make a difference, but six months it is, and I know I can kill a plant in six months ;)
Cheshire, UK