In my Greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: In my Greenhouse

Post by iann »

Never enough space! But it all looks very interesting and well grown. Apart from the sad paucity of Lithops ;)
Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Very nice! As Victoria says, something to aspire to!
Would also like to see some 'close-ups' please! :D
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi David,

Wish my place was as tidy as yours! Do you do contract greenhouse tidying and cleaning by any chance??!!!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by David_L »

Thanks for your compliments. As you can see I will be a candidate for any seedling swap system we implement! There are more under the staging of course. To answer a few specific questions:
1. Chris -- It's Aztekium hintonii, bought as a small seedling 5 years ago from a private seller just repotted for the first time since. I've got some more small seedlings of this species of my own raising, but I'm no David Quail!
2. Julie -- Yes I enjoy listening to the radio while repotting and plant watching.
3. Phil& Maria --- I'll do some close ups from time to time -- nice to do it as things flower.
4.Vic-- This was a pre-snow pic. Lots (5-6cm) of it yesterday. Made a rather nice snowman, but then I'm widely known to be in my second childhood!
5. Iann --- I promise there are some Lithops and other Mesembs. around, they just aren't in the front rank. I must admit I'm more of a cactus person, but if I had more space ..........!
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

HI David

Nice pictures of your plants, Q- where did you get good seed of A.hintonii ?, I have given up now & contacted David R to see if he has some plants, bit of a cheat but I'm not as young as I was !(:P)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Is that fleece you put over the plants?, isn't it a serious fight to get it off them again ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by David_L »

Tina--- My Aztekium hintonii seed came from Mesa Garden but I think it needed a CITES certificate. It germinated well and I have about 6 seedlings growing steadily but very slowly. It's quicker than A. ritteri, but only just, much slower than Geohintonia. There are other suppliers of seed around, Doug Rowland had it listed for example, though he may now have sold out.Yes it's fleece, more for sun protection for sensitive plants than cold. It's suspended from string when in use, like a kind of curtain. It doesn't get near spines if I can help it.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.