sciarid fly

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mal
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: sciarid fly

Post by Mal »

just had a thought, would it be a good idea, if when buying the odd plant from garden centre,s you know the one,s that wink at you and say buy me , yes the one,s that seem to be growing in pure peat, to wash the roots clean and let them dry before potting them up again?.Yes I know we should buy from proper nurseries, but like I said they do wink!!! Mal
Mal. Aylesbury vale Bucks. cacti and succulents. T.S.G.member.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

That is what I do Mal. I fill an ice cream tub with tepid water and swish the roots round in that. Then the peaty water gets thrown on the compost heap rather than down the sink. Sometimes,if there is evidence of root mealy bugs etc, the water has a spell in the microwave before being tipped. Next the roots are allowed to dry and if necessary dabbed with meths to finish off lingering low life.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I almost always clean off the roots and repot new plants. Even those from reputable nurseries often use a very different mix to what I'm used to. Experience tells me that this is a recipe for death down the road. Anything in peat must be cleaned thoroughly even if it means losing a lot of roots.
Cheshire, UK