New Poll on BCSS website

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New Poll on BCSS website

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Molly,

Well I hope you gave a lecture to the Edenbridge Branch about just how wonderful this Forum is?

I certainly did this to the F&GP Committee last Saturday, so even those "at the top of this society" need to be given a good talking to at times, so Edenbridge isn't the only place still in the dark ages!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

When the forum first started I used to plug it most meetings. One man posted for a while then stopped. Not a lot of people at our branch have computers in any case.
I am not that interested in computers as such, I just regard it as a useful tool but just reading the postings I get the impression that a high proportion of the people that post are and I think that is where the major difference is. You don't need a computer to grow cacti but I think it adds to the pleasure.
Member Bcss
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Roy,

For me now a computer is an essential piece of kit. I couldn't do my OU work without one, nor could I edit Bradleya without the same.

I'm also using a laptop more and more for giving presentations to branches, zone conventions, etc. I'm no longer in the game of showing slides, so I'm steadily converting my slide-based talks to Powerpoint presentations.

Having said that, my most successful talks involve neither slides nor a computer: these are workshops based around displays of either plants or books. The success comes from the fact that these are interactive: I get the audience to participate so it's not a one way delivery or flow of information. Such presentations though require more time on the day to plan, arrange and deliver.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Geoff and all,

Just checked and as of now only 62 votes in - the turnout rate here is nearly as good (or rather bad) as participation in local elections!!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Bill

Post by Bill »

As you say Colin not a very high turnout, but do these sort of polls ever get that high a turnout, 10-15% is all we get in work polls and surveys.

As far as I can see the only statistic that can be drawn so far is that 25% of forum users joined the BCSS after using the forum, which is good.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Example of a Poll on another site I frequent, 10,000 members poll has been up for 12 days, number of votes 70, which is 0.7% of the total membership our vote is running at 9.7% of forum membership (assuming 650) or 1.9% of all BCSS membership (assuming 3000).

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Bill,

Okay, I suppose c.10% polling isn't bad thus far!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS