Chunky Echinocactus seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Chunky Echinocactus seedlings

Post by Phil Hocking »

Spell checkers are usually American, so they don't always get it right for us Brits. For example catalogue gets underlined in red because Americans think it should be catalog. They like their l to be single too, e.g. marvelous and traveling instead of marvellous and travelling. You can't do better than the good old fashioned human brain backed up with a good dictionary.

Sorry for getting a bit off message here - I'd better mention those Echinocactus seedlings to redeem myself. If it is best to graft them at 4 weeks (as mentioned in another thread) they will need doing soon, but my Pereskiopsis are not growing yet. Should they be kept growing all winter, with or without grafted seedlings on top? I never was sure about that. Someone said treat them as houseplants, but that is a bit vague.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Phil,

I beg to disagree. I find the spell checker VERY useful because I'm such a lousy typist. So my main use is in picking up typos to correct my pathetically poor typing not to correct for words I can't spell.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I'm a lousy typist too, but I proof read what I have typed. Still, the red underlinings are very useful for drawing the eye to potential typos, so yes, we do need them.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Alejandro
Registered Guest

Post by Alejandro »

Those are great looking chunky babies!! I have not had luck with poly seeds so far, I'll wait till it gets very hot here in Tucson AZ and try again. I did have a bit of luck with Pyrrhocactus umadeave though:

[IMG]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5402 ... vy9.th.jpg[/IMG]

2 out of 10, Mesa Garden seed and 0 from other 3 packs different supplier

Alex
Alejandro
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Maybe that's why they don't work in cultivation. The view is just not pretty enough to inspire them to grow.

Phil, stick up a nice postcard by their pot. :)

--------

Alex, those are lovely little seedlings! And plenty of spikes.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Phil,

Yeah, proof reading is essential for me too since even in a one liner I often make several typos. So a spell checker would be really great.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University