Editing tools and spell checking

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Editing tools and spell checking

Post by iann »

I have looked into spell checking within the forum and it won't currently work because the machine it runs on lacks the necessary spell checking tools. Since any worthwhile browser already includes spell checking which you can customise to your language and bizarre plant-naming needs(>:D<), I'm not going to chase this any further.

I have also turned on a module which allows certain features to be entered in a message at the click of a button. Let me know whether this is helpful or just distracting.
Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Re: Editing tools and spell checking

Post by Bill »

[size=large]Nice one Ian[/size] (tu)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

[size=large]thanks ian[/size](tu):)-D:D
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Great, Ian.

I just discovered the new functions bar, and wondered who would be the first to use *that* smiley....:P
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Let's have a look in the new toy basket

:P

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

[size=medium]Hi Ian,

Thanks for trying to find the spell checker, but the new functions are a great substitute. [/size]
X(
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

## EXCELLENT :) :)

Post by Lindsey »

Thanks a bunch Ian, great work... :D
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

If you are using Firefox, it will spellcheck for you in any entry form or box that you want. You just have to install the dictionaries for the languages you need. Click on the ones you want. I think even the latest releases of Firefox come without a dictionary so you may not be aware that it has a built-in spell checker. To use it, after you have installed your language, right click in any text entry field and you will see a spell check option that you can turn on or off. When turned on, bad words will be underlined in red.

It would be nice to integrate dictionaries with, for example, the word dictionary, so that all those weird words wouldn't needed to be added in two places. Any ideas, anyone?

So far as I know, Internet Explorer has no built-in spell check even in the latest releases of IE7. You would have to add on something like the google bar or one of the other spell-check extras to get this sort of feature.
Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I noticed that some words were getting underlined but didn't realise (realize) it was Firefox that was doing it. Lo and behold 'spell check this field' is checked. Thanks Ian

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Bill

Post by Bill »

The spellchecker in Firefox is great, my wife and daughters speak Cymraeg and eldest also speaks Francais and so we have it set up to switch between three languages, no problem, just a little disappointed no Latin.:P

There is a similar spellchecker for Explore ieSpell.

http://www.iespell.com/

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.