Introduction

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Introduction

Post by BrianMc »

Just a quick introduction to make my presence known.

Having read some of the recent posts I was in two minds whether to get involved with this forum or not. It always amazes and saddens me the way such a positive and inspirational HOBBY, that we all share, can be twisted and used as the vehicle for negative emotions.
I do feel the electronic/digital media is partly responsible. In life there are always situations where disagreements occur, however, internet forums have the knack of being able to foster and intensify ill feeling to levels unacceptable in normal society. In my opinion, the internet is a incredible resource, when used correctly. Both the internet and email are fantastic ways of sharing information and data, but, they are lacking in their ability to convey the human emotions so important in communication. The intent of electonic words are so easily misread or confused, hence the need for Smilies and abbreviations like 'LOL' - Things I hate using but feel I have to to avoid offending or misinterpretation.

Perhaps Flamers on the internet forums are aggressive in these encounters because they are sitting in their own homes. May be its a territorial thing. In the neutral environment of a meeting hall the big shots with the big mouths are usually quiet! Any disagreement is USUALLY dissipated by the fact that most normal people will conform to behaviour expected in polite and civilised circles.
Something to consider before we close the doors on Branch meetings for our brighter future on the Net!

Anyway, back to my quick introduction....(:D(:P):P...LOL!

My name is Brian McDonough and I live in Scotland. I bought my first cactus in 1981, while still at school ( so I suppose I am still in the younger half of the society >:D<). I subscribed to the Exotic Collection until it stopped. I joined the Macclesfield East Cheshire Branch of the BCSS in 1986, but allowed my membership to lapse. I moved to Glasgow in 1988 and rejoined the society. I have been going to Glasgow Branch meetings since 1989. I have been on the committee of the branch for a number of years and I am the current Show Secretary.

My interest in plants has changed/evolved dramatically over the years. Initially I was interested in cacti - mostly South American. However, my interest in cacti has wained and now my main interests are focussed on Mesembs, small aloes and in general small South African succulents.

I also have an insatiable desire to hybridise - Ooer Missus ;)
I started off with lobivia and rebutia, then onto Euphorbia obesa and pals. I have been concentrating on Aloes since 2001ish also encompassing Gasteria. Over the last couple of years I have included Haworthia and Echeveria and last Summer started to look at Crassula and Adromischus.

I have two greenhouses, a 12'x8' and an 8'x6' and as you can imagine... no space!

I am semi active on two Yahoo succulent forums and a lurker on a few others -lets face it ... spending too much time on the computer is UN-HEALTHY!

I think that completes my quick introduction...
... any questions (LOL)

I promise I will not be so long winded next time!

Happy and successful growing to you all,

Brian
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Bill

Re: Introduction

Post by Bill »

Hello Brian

Welcome the madhouse :D

What a great introduction and yes we are having one or two flare ups, but I assure you it's not normal I have been a regular on here for over 2.5 yrs and this is the first time, I am sure it will all resolve itself amicably. seems to me our interest overlap a bit,I have what my wife calls an unhealthy interest in Haworthia, Gasteria and have quite a few other Africans too.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hi Brian! Another Forby lover is very welcome! B)

Don't worry, this is a funny time and we usually all get along great. :)-D

Distract us by telling if you have produced and grown obesa seeds? I have about 20 and am looking forward to May when I can sow them. :D

Do you have any obesa who are uncertain of their sex? My old girl is still popping out the fake boy flowers. 8-)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Hi Brian, and welcome. Your comments are well made. Besides hacking off those directly involved, i am sure that many bystanders switch off from forums when hackles get raised. I recall a "debate" on cacti_etc between the creationists and others - postings pretty much dried up after that, as i recall.
See you at the April mtg - no driving possible at present due to busted foot, hence March is off the menu,
NIck
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Brian,

You make some excellent points there. Well I'm glad you didn't let recent happenings on the forum deter you and decided to join in all the fun.

Welcome, hope you enjoy the forum!!
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Thanks Bill, Julie,Nick and Vic for the kind welcome. I hope I will be able to make a worthwhile contribution to the Forum.

Bill,
it does seem we share some interests. However, I must come clean and let you know that my interest in Haworthia is fairly narrow; the emelyae(s) and similar, springbokvlakense, truncata and hybrids there of.
I have also given up trying to identify 50% of the nice gasteria I have acquired.

Julie,
when it comes to the loves, loses and the dating game in Euphorbia obesa, you are talking to an old pro;)! Youre passion for E.Obesa is very reminiscent of my own early interest (except mine never got names!). I fear my posting on the subject could rival War and Peace in volume and so would be best left for another day when I have more time and there are more hours left.

Nick,
well I certainly hope your foot is better by May, because we are counting on you and your South African bulbs for our evenings entertainment!

Thanks again to all,

Brian
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Brian,
Welcome - I too have plenty of yet-to-be-identified gasterias.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Hi Brian

Welcome to the Forum.

Your collection sounds similar to mine.

As you can see by my user name, Aloes are probably my favorite genus, but I grow many other South African succulents including Haworthias, Gasteria, Mesembs and also the odd Euphorbia and Stapeliad.

Unlike you, I am a purist though and am not all that keen on hybrids.

Thanks
Aloenut
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Brian

Welcome. Usually we talk fairly productively about Cacti and Succulents and all matters pertaining to. Do stick with us. It's often very helpful and informative if like me you are coming back to the hobby after a period of absence.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Hi Brian, and a very warm welcome to the forum :)-D
I think you will find us a friendly bunch 'honestly'. The events of the past couple of weeks are far from typical, so don't be put off. I'll look forward to seeing a few photos of your plants.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk