Anacampseros (incl seed) for ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Anacampseros (incl seed) for ID

Post by iann »

Here's my baby Anacampseros again. Not A. comptonii as labelled, but hopefully worthy of a name.

The seed (better picture now):
[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... seros1.jpg[/img]

The plant:
[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... seros2.jpg[/img]

The leaves are up to 10mm wide and only a little longer, which suggests A. telephiastrum, but it seems rather too hairy. Some of the lower leaves show some reddening of the lower surfaces but not strong. The seed shows signs of wings which again could be A. telephiastrum but I don't have the other species to compare with.
Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Re: Anacampseros (incl seed) for ID

Post by Bill »

Can't help with the name Ian but it's very nice.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

[size=medium]Hi Ian,

Sorry, but I've not got enough info to give you a firm ID on this. I'm also about to leave for a short holiday, so have no time right now to delve into the literature. If I don't get back to you on this by the weekend, please give me a nudge 'cos I'd like to track the ID down, unless someone else comes up with the answer before I manage to![/size]
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Hi Ian,

I'm sure Derek will help you with this one.
If even Derek is not sure, you might contact Jacques van Thiel in the netherlands, MSG representative for his country.
He's the true expert of the genus and should be in a better position to id this plant.

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

I'll guess it might be retusus or rufescens - maybe??? LOL

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I echo Bill's comments! :D
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I have Rowley's book with its key and description of the species. There is little doubt that it is A. telephiastrum, A. retusus, or A. rufescens but I'm not sure which.

Here are some smaller seedlings, they are more hairy than the larger plants. These plants are 10mm-20mm across.
[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... seros3.jpg[/img]
Cheshire, UK
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Hi iann,

You're not going to like this ....

It's not Ananc. retusa - that has remarkable shaggy white seed.

Your seed with an inflated white outer integument layer (to act as a sail for wind distribution?) belongs to A. telephiastrum, lanceolata, marlothii or rufescens.

It's not A, telephiastum, that's big and chunky. I'm puzzled by the way your larger plant has it's leaves in probably eight vertical tiers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know everything and I'm just not familiar with the seedling development of all taxa. I think this is one of the far eastern forms, which have been attributed to rufescens and marlothii by different authors, but probably will need a new name. Not illustrated in Rowley.

So I'm going to say they are still not old enough to identify yet, please post another photo when they start to flower in about six months. If I see a fat bud/flower, then go with marlothii, if narrow and pointed, that's like rufescens.

You never get a straight answer! My money is on rufescens ...

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
London UK
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

A. rufescens is very believable. Perhaps that plant has excessively compact growth from being under lights all winter. Here is one which has not been under the lights. Might be a more normal form, might just be etiolated.

[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... seros4.jpg[/img]
Cheshire, UK
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Derek,
Venturing into dangerous water here but I think the leaves on marlothi are very different even at a young age, they are more elongated and rounded at the tips if I remember correctly.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes