Anything less like a cactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Anything less like a cactus

Post by Mike »

Thought this might be of interest, for a plant less like a 'cactus' is hard to imagine, but that's what this is. Using Anderson's book as a guide I've made a tentative identification of Rhipsalis burchelii but if you've any other ideas plese let me know! I was given it as a small cutting about four years ago, and I'm delighted that it's now producing flower buds!
Mike
[attachment 2209 Rhibur.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (97.26 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Mike
BCSS Member

Re: Anything less like a cactus

Post by Mike »

The flower buds aren't easy to photograph, at least with an autofocus camera, but this should give a general idea.
[attachment 2211 Rhibur2.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (69.39 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

have you seen www.rhipsalis.com ?

rhipsalis.com

the correct spelling is rhipsalis burchellii ;)
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks Hob. A good website!
And good to know there are others growing these interesting genera!
Mike
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

You'd never guess it was a cactus - very different!!
nzcactus
Registered Guest

Post by nzcactus »

On that rhipsalis site is an (controversial ?) article by a New Zealander (Phil Maxwell , who sadly died about 2 weeks ago) which has always interested me, concerning the evolution of cactus - it is under the general tab then distribution link (or go directly here: ).

What does everyone else think about the article re rhipsalis being very old and the first cactus to develop before the break up of the super continents ?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew, Harrow Branch.
Growing cacti upside down since 1981 ... upside up since 2004 !!
http://www.cssnz.org
------------------------------------------------------
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi nzcactus,
Great link, and an interesting article. Far too often we simply accept the general statements made without challenging them - and I think he does a good job of building a case for his thories.
I'm glad that he at least has a go at trying to explain why there are no cactus fossils more than about 20000 years old but I think he needs to do to the normal wisdom about why there are no fossils what he has done in this paper to dispersal mechanisms.
Cacti do not make good fossils we are told, but there are plenty of examples where hard materials like spines have survived as fossils. Because they grow in drier areas fossilisation depends upon being buried by windblown sand or some other mechanism, this should be feasible, and the fossils would be more like mummified. The problem is that many cacti do grow in damper areas, and many epiphytes would overhang bogs and wet areas where they could fall and be preserved. If they are as old as he suggests some evidence should have come to light. He mentions pollen and that it is mostly wind pollinated pollen that is preserved - I agree that the chance of finding insect pollinated pollen is much less, but hardly unknown in the fossil records - so where, after all the time he proposes are these records?
Finally there is no mention of seed. If the birds are carrying the seeds around and defecating them out all over the show for that length of time someone should have found some, and they are hard coated and should survive fossilisation. Perhaps some would even be preserved in the preserved stomaches of the fossilised birds - and anything else that eats the fruits.
Now I have no answers to all this - but it surely is the final proof that is needed to solve the puzzle - and yet there is no evidence available. (Unless I've missed it - which is quite possible.)
Anyway great paper and very enjoyable.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes