An open Forum- local club  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

An open Forum- local club

Post by Ernie »

Last night I attended a meeting of the Teesside branch of the BCSS.

The format was an open evening for members to give mini talks. This was a very relaxed evening and it seemed to go down well.

I gave a talk on Brighamia and Madagascan Euphorbias injecting much humour and encouraging discussion. Another club member gave a talk on how he does things including showing some bizzare graftings; these mini talksnwere well recieved. After these talks(and the usual tea break) it was an open session for people to talk plants!

An excellent evening.

Now without wishing to re open the debate about shows!; during the evening members are encouraged to vote for plants in the table show. Three catergories; any cacti any succulent and any flowering cacti or succulent. During the early part of the evening when the administration/running of the branch was beinbg discussed the question was raised(again!!) about how much interest there was for this competition. Some members wanted to scrap it while others wanted it to flourish because of the talking point the presence of the plants created.
Many of the comments expressed in the previous thread I started on here were repeated last night, interesting.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: An open Forum- local club

Post by Roy »

Well I must admit last time I was there someone had brought an Ario. about 6" across. Not bad going for branch table show.
Member Bcss
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Ernie,
It has been a long time since my branch held table shows. Eventually they were stopped because only a very few people brought entries and so the results were pretty boring. We did try to start an 'interesting plant' table - it worked well for about 4 months and then fizzled out.
This I think is the way that the society meetings are going somewhat with less interest in particiaption - and this is reflected in many of the other activities of the BCSS. Getting all there to vote on the entries is a good way of getting some particiaption.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Our branch table shows are not well supported but I must admit I am as guilty as the rest, usually because my wife and I virtually fill the car with everything else that's needed.
We do however have a class for any plant of special interest ie something in flower or something that hasn't died (joke )
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

We also have a monthly table show. There are nearly always an interesting selection of plants but participation is quite patchy. For example, I think I brought plants to three, possibly four, meetings last year (my excuse is they only have a Lithops class every couple of years!) and came third in total points for the year, a very long way behind the two people who brought plants nearly every month. We have a cactus group and succulent group, different each month, plus anything in flower.
Cheshire, UK
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Ian,
Yuor branch is one of the most active that I know for table shows - and they do a great job - a good branch.

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Table shows? What're they? :(

Post by Lindsey »

I joined BCSS in 2001 and it was another year or so before I dared to visit my local branch. Sadly, it is too small to have a table show, but I have seen one when visiting another branch meeting in the same BCSS zone.

Speaking of small branches, there is at least one speaker who will not (so I'm told) take speaking engagements for branches that are below a certain size.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Susanne
Registered Guest

Re: An open Forum- local club  Solved

Post by Susanne »

Hello

We also have a very interesting monthly table show/competition.
There are 5 classes:
A: requires up to 3 plants each from different groups, from the 5 groups identified by each month.
B: requires one plant in bud, flower or fruit
C:Beginners' Class- one plant
S: Smaller plant Class- one plant
Z: Exhibition class-one plant
Entries in classes A,B&C are limited to 6"(15cm) maximum diameter pots.
Class S is limited to 3"(7,5cm) pots Class Z has no pot size restriction
There is a good contribution every month and we see a lot of interesting plants.(tu)
Susanne South Wales Branch