What is it???

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

What is it???

Post by scousetigger »

I place a picture of a seedling a few weeks ago which just has 2 long "leaf" stalks and a long stem. No one had much idea what it was but it was from a packet of mixed cacti seeds and the seed was about the size of a crinkled orange pip. Now I see it has started growing some sort of cacti from the middle. Two questions.....anyone got an idea what it is and 2 how will I plant it with such a long stem, as it is now beginning to fall over.
[attachment 2213 seedling.jpg]
Attachments
4RXWRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4RXWRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (92.57 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: What is it???

Post by Nick »

no attachment visible to me
Nick
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

Now i see it. That would be an Opuntia of some sort - bit too early to tell which one!
Nick
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Sue just a guess Ripsallis??
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

To stop it falling over just put some gravel round it. If there are other Opuntia seeds there they`ll push thru OK
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Post by bcss »

Early to tell but I would guess at some sort of Cylindropuntia.
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Yes I put 3 seeds in there but only the one has come up at the moment. They are in a small heated propagator in the greenhouse. Will it be better to take it out of there now or leave it til or IF the others sprout. I have just aquired a 6' by 8' greenhouse free for the taking. Needs some glass but otherwise ok so I will be able to expand.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

These are some of the other seeds that have grown very well during the past couple of months considering its supposed to be winter :S
[attachment 2216 seedling.2jpg.jpg]
Attachments
4SItRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4SItRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (87.14 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Sue, what a funky seedling! I wonder if the spiky bit will flatten out into a little pad.

From what I hear of Opuntias, they would probably survive a nuclear war, so it'll probably be a metre high this time next year! :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.