Forum moderation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Forum moderation

Post by bcss »

Forum moderation - Official statement from BCSS

When the Forum first started there was no moderation.

We quickly had to introduce moderation when entirely inappropriate messages started appearing. Initially the moderators role was informal and largely consisted of excluding those who joined the forum with no interest in cacti and succulents and purely wanted to play about or post spam.

Over the last few weeks there has been an increasing proportion of messages not directly to do with cacti and succulents. Some were concerned with the operation of the BCSS and others completely off topic. It is the view of the F&GP and the Trustees of the BCSS that these were damaging not only the Forum but the public image of the BCSS, particularly as some of the statements were factually incorrect and bearing in mind that anyone can read them.

It has therefore been necessary to define the role and powers of the moderators as is absolutely normal in moderated Forums so that they can ensure the Forum can be used for its original purpose. If members of the BCSS disagree with this policy there are constitutional ways, defined by the rules of the Society, in which they can change things, but it cannot be done through this Forum which has no constitutional role or status.

And an addendum from me personally:

As to my own post which some have objected to, it was off-topic and as such the moderators should have deleted it. It was also entirely inappropriate to have posted it under the BCSS signature as it was my opinion and not that of the BCSS and I apologise for this. Those of you who know me well will know if is very rare for me to swear in public. I would suggest that in this case a reference to Crown vs Penguin Books (1960) is appropriate, but I do apologise for any offence caused.
Tony Mace
Publications Manager