might be useful

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

might be useful

Post by Tina »

Hi all

This is an old chick brooder/egg incubator that was going to be thrown out at work, it still works so I thought with added lights ( units also courtesy of the old fish house) it would make a great propagator has anyone got any ideas, I thought two small strip lights might give enough light .
[attachment 2221 brooder.jpg]
Attachments
4Q7nRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAuwAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4wAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAKACAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4Q7nRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAuwAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4wAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAKACAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (93.6 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: might be useful

Post by iann »

I imagine it has a thermostatically controlled heater? How big is it? Good for seeds maybe. Or overwintering those Madagascan things you grow?
Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Looks a sound idea Tina, try two strop lights but make each separately switched so that if you have the light to strong it can run on one.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Could it produce fowl smells? :-))))
Member Bcss
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi

It is very large, thats a 22" square tray next to it.
One problem I found already is I have bars to reinforce my top staging so it means I can't put it on the lower shelf unless I remove the bar:(
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Excellent idea Tina - great bit of recycling!!
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Agreed!

My friend tried to incubate duck and chicken eggs but gave up after too many failures. He has enough feathery friends anyway... not sure why he would want more. (probably the same reason people with hundreds of cacti grow seeds...)

If I know him, he would have put it straight on that auction site we don't mention. Never thought of it for seedlings, though.... great idea!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.