BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by esp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am

Another thank you to Chris for running the seed pool and to forum members for contributing.
I sowed seeds from my latest receipt on Saturday 9th and Echinocereus fendleri already looks to be germinating rampantly - I'd expected Asto caput-medusae to be first above ground.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 am

Just to add to the record my thanks, too, to Chris for his efforts. And Re the A. caput-medusae, I also had results with 3 of 4 seeds germinating, the first after 5 days.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Germination of caput-medusae is quite variable and seems to depend on the age of the seed. Fresh seed germinates in about 5 days at reasonable temperatures and old seed can take a couple of weeks. Well stored seed seems to keep its viability compared with some other species. So you should get a reasonable number of seedlings despite the small number of seeds per packet [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk