BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Postby Chris43 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 pm

The Forum Seed Pool will be closed from Friday 12th February to Wednesday 8th March.

There have been no requests since 10th October, and no donations of seed recently either. Any request for seed will be responded to, but with a health warning about the viability of the seed in the pool, owing to age.

The lack of use will result in its closure, unless someone else wants to take it over, in which case please contact me on my return.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
esp
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Postby esp » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 am

I've had a quick look at the list - and there are some really obscure names on there!
Listing the modern species name (even if stated as a mere possibility) may help summon up a little interest.

For example, Google has not heard of Micropterum schlechtii - so I've no idea if I'm interested in it! Lateral thinking and a bit of detective work hasn't realy helped here.
Seemingly Tromotriche revolta may in more normal terms be a Stapelia
Stoberia littlewoodii again turned up a complete blank on Google, but it maybe should be Stoeberia - and so maybe it should be Lampranthus mutatus?

Similarly, putting the species names for the DAR field collected cacti may help, Ferocactus emoryi and Hamatocactus sinuatus
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Postby jadegarden » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:40 pm

I have seed to donate and have them cleaned and labelled and ready to go - just been delinquent about getting to the post office to mail them off. I need to get that off my "things to do" this weekend.

So many of my plants have been from seed sourced from the seed pool - I would be sorry to see it close from lack of interest.
JanD

The JaMaDa Collection: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
makleodss
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD

Postby makleodss » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Last year I requested one packet of each and same with this year BCSS seed list I get one of each. I had much more better germination from old seed pool seeds than from seed list ones. I got 48 packets sawn 5-10 seeds of each and only 12 pots have no germination at all. If I will have time I can give reflection which germinated and which not. I still have spare seeds to give them another try.
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:59 pm

I had no idea this even existed... :shock:

It's a great idea it just needs more use, if I had any seeds I'd donate :wink:

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:50 pm

There appears to be some support for continuing, though just three supportive posts is not exactly an overwhelming response.

What I plan to do is this - to put all the seed received and listed to date on a second page in the downloadable Excel workbook; and to add all new seed received on the first sheet. So basically new seed and old seed.

Then we'll see what demands happen. Since I posted my concern about use, I should tell you that no-one has asked for seed!

Initially there will be seed from my collection (mostly Mamms) and the seed received yesterday from Jade (Many thanks indeed for this).

The new listings should be up by the end of the week, hopefully.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Keith H
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Postby Keith H » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Chris, I for one would like to thank you for your continued work on the forum seed pool and are looking forward to the updated lists.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks, Keith.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm

With regard to the naming - I'm going to keep on using the names under which I receive seed. I'm not an expert in every genera, especially the non-cacti, and have plenty of other things to do, like keeping my plants in as good shape as I can, rather than research every name to see if there's a "correct one".

esp wrote:For example, Google has not heard of Micropterum schlechtii - so I've no idea if I'm interested in it! Lateral thinking and a bit of detective work hasn't realy helped here.

A simple search with my browser turned up a synonym of Micropterum schlechteri. I've been using BIng.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
esp
Registered Guest

Postby esp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:38 am

I think the seed pool is a great idea, and I appreciate the time it takes to administer it.
Seeds swap / donation lists work very well, in my experience as both a recipient and provider, in another C&S forum.

To add to Tony's post in the other thread, about lack of offers of seed to the pool, this is the wrong time of year for me, and I suspect many others, to have surplus. I have hardly any ripening fruit at the moment. In addition, I haven't finished my spring sowing. When I have, in several weeks time, if seedlings from early sowings prove abundant and vigorous, I may have some surplus purchased seed.

Chris43 wrote:With regard to the naming - I'm going to keep on using the names under which I receive seed.

That seems reasonable.

Chris43 wrote: I'm not an expert in every genera, especially the non-cacti, and have plenty of other things to do, like keeping my plants in as good shape as I can, rather than research every name to see if there's a "correct one".

That is not what I suggested. In the majority of cases, where there is no reason to clarify the name, why would you do this? However, in the case where the names given are rather obscure, or are probably misspellings etc, I do think it would be useful to potential users of the seed pool to have a note giving an indication of what the plants actually may be, with names which are at least somewhere within the normal spectrum of currently recognised synonyms, or with suggested corrections for what seem obvious mistakes. The flip side - do you think the list should knowingly perpetuate mistakes and misspellings (such as the ludicrous invention of Turbinicarpus lilinkeuidus). Surely this is something that the society should wish to prevent on principle?

Chris43 wrote:
esp wrote:For example, Google has not heard of Micropterum schlechtii - so I've no idea if I'm interested in it! Lateral thinking and a bit of detective work hasn't really helped here.

A simple search with my browser turned up a synonym of Micropterum schlechteri. I've been using BIng.

This sort-of illustrates my point. This may be lucky for Bing users, but Google has still not heard of Micropterum schlechtii*. In particular, it does not suggest Micropterum schlecteri as a synonym (it prefers to suggest Micropterus schlecht, which is not helpful). If you know that Micropterum schlechtii is almost certainly an incorrect name, it seems perverse not to add a note that the seed may well actually be M. schlecteri.

* with the exception that, within the last day or 2, this thread is now its number 1 search result. So making the connection to M. schecteri will now be easier, if, but only if, a google searcher reads this thread.

Return to “The Cactus & Succulent Plant Forum”