BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member

BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Postby Chris43 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:22 pm

The BCSS Forum provides it's members with seed contributed by other members. If you have seed to contribute, please send it to me. Address is in the spreadsheet. Please, only cleaned seed, as I don't have the time, or in some cases the knowledge, to clean seed myself.

The list of seed available is regularly updated, and is downloaded as an Excel file. Click the link below:

It is funded by donations of excess seed or cleaned seeds collected from members own plants. Members may request any of the seed listed, just for the price of a 2nd class Large stamp. Guidance is given on the second sheet in the workbook, and Chris43 handles the collection and dispatch of seed, so contact him with requests etc.

DO NOT REQUEST SEEDS BY ADDING TO THIS THREAD!
Do send me a pm or email to do so.

Please give the full genus, species, variety and field number where relevant and not a line number in the spreadsheet as these change all the time, and if you asked for line 65 this may have changed between the version you looked at and the latet version which is what I would be working from!

For those who don't have Excel installed, here's the link to Microsoft's free Excel Viewer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=EN
There are various Shareware viewers available for Mac users, usually at a small charge. Try searching in Free Downloads Center http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/
I understand that there is a way for Linux users, see this link for details: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5463

Any comments, suggestions etc., please email me or PM me direct.

Thanks
Last edited by Chris43 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Postby Pete A » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Chris, I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread.

As the societies seed purchaser, I'm interested in donations of seed that are in large quantities. If anyone has a minimum of 300 seeds available of a single species then I would like to hear from you as the society may wish to list it on our annual seed list.

My email is available in the journal or I can be contacted through the forums Private Message service.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am

Over the holidays, I have done a complete physical stock check andthe list is now up to date.
There have been some additions and some deletions, not representing anything new but correcting my clerical errors.
If anyone has been previously disappointed if I have said that a requested seed is out of stock, and now it has miraculously re-appeared, all I can do is to offer my apologies and to ask them to please contact me again.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Postby sue46 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm

This is a list of seed. What are the 'ages' quoted? Is this age of the parent plant or how old the seed is :???: seems a good selection though and all we do is send you a 'large 2nd class stamp'?
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:19 pm

The ages quoted on the seed list is usually when people collected the seed. In some cases it might be when they bought the seed, if it hasn't come from their own plants. In the case of seed from Amante Darmanim, it is when the seed was originally offered through the Malta C&S Society.
And yes, a LARGE stamp, 1st or 2nd class is all it takes to try some!
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
sue46
BCSS Member

Postby sue46 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm

I might have a good browse on this, thanks Chris (tu)
sue46
BCSS Member

Postby sue46 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi Chris, just been having another look at this list (have a 1st class large stamp (tu) ). To order do I print out the list and mark on that or just write down the ones I am interested in. Thanks.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Postby Tina » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Sue
let me know if you try some of the Adenium obesum, I'd like to know what the germination rate will be from fresh Uk seed.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator Northampton & Mk Branch
sue46
BCSS Member

Postby sue46 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am

Hi Tina, I don't know if I have ever tried that one, usually stick with normal cacti and few succulents :smile: but, if I do, I will look it up first and let you know.
Chris43
BCSS Member

Postby Chris43 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:44 pm

The Seed Pool will be closed for the rest of February, as I am going on holiday!!

Update 28/2 - Back now...and open for business. Some updates in the next few days
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK

Return to “The Cactus & Succulent Plant Forum”