BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by Tony R » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

iann wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:25 pm
Has the Excel file been saved in a strange state? It opens with a hyperlink dialog over the screen. In Linux at least, this can't be closed because the sheet is read-only. Inconvenient, have to save a copy first and turn off read-only.
Works fine for me, iann, but then I am using Windows and Firefox and by default choose to save such files to my Downloads folder.
Tony Roberts
Chairman, BCSS Dartford Branch
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris43
BCSS Member

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by Chris43 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Nothing odd about the file, Iann, just saved in the way that it has been for many years. I also use Windows 10, an older version of Excel 2010, Chrome for my browser (used to use Microsoft IE and then Edge), and have never seen a hyperlink superimposed. There isn't a hyperlink in the file, so it must have come somehow from your own system, I suspect. Sorry, I don't speak Linux though, but if you find there is something incompatible and there's something I can do, then please do let me know.

When I receive a file either as a result of a download, or as an email attachment, my system tells me it is read only until I tell the system that it is OK to open it for editing purposes. If I do, some security checking is done (I think) and it is then fine to edit, extract stuff etc. I don't specifically save it as read only.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html