Propagating Units

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Propagating Units

Post by Bill »

I am thinking about building a propagating unit. So looking for ideas, I know Bob has a pretty smart set-up, but what about the rest of you, where do you grow your seed?

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Propagating Units

Post by iann »

I grow inside a box made from white chipboard with a glass front. I have two compact fluorescent lights inside that provide light and heat. The glass front is less useful than I had initially hoped but it lets me see how things are going. I thought I could let natural light in but most of the time it lets out more light than it lets in so I keep it covered.

I also have a larger "box" lit by four four-foot fluorescent tubes, but I use that for overwintering older seedlings, some winter growers, and any other warmth lovers that I have room for.
Cheshire, UK
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

...any where I can squeeze one in then one on top if I can manage it!(:P)
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Roy, I have some small Lithops pots standing on top of seed trays where the cacti were foolish enough to leave bare patches of soil between the plants! Works quite well, the Lithops like the strongest light and give a little shading to the cacti.
Cheshire, UK
jamesfe
Registered Guest

Post by jamesfe »

I just use baggies on a heated mat under a light. it's as easy as that
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

I have yet to embrace the baggie method so early last year I built this puppy. It's pretty full on, a stand alone unit that i can move around the house, it's basically two wooden boxes lined with plastic and filled with a bottom layer of sand, all on a stand with lighting. I use the 2.5" square pots for my seed raising and I think if I totally fill the boxes I can fit around 80 pots is each. Each contains a flexible thermostatically controlled heat pad (which I already had), and has lighting provided by 3 x 18 watt flouros for each tray. The lids are clear acrylic (probably the most expensive bit !) and hinged, with a slope to let condensation drain back into the sand base. The height of the box is adjustable in relation to the lights and next season I'll be raising them closer to the lights as I think they were a bit too far away as my first sowings last season etoliated a bit. For my second sowing though, I moved the whole unit into the greenhouse as it was getting warmer...this sowing gave me my best results I think. At the moment the stand and one tray is in the laundry and a tray alone is still in the greenhouse less heat pad, growing on some of the later sown seedlings. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.
[attachment 2247 IMG_3405a.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (62.09 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Trevor

Thats a very sofisticated unit but well done for a home build unit !

I built mine from ply wood about 5mm and 2 double 5ft double standard domestic flurecent light units, I already had a soil warming cable and thermostat.

I run the lights for 14 hrs a day on a timer from around 5.00pm through the night. as they generate quie a bit of heat the heeting cable only really comes on during the day occasionaly. Temperature is ~ 18 dec C at night and about 22-24 when the lights are on.

I also use square pots of either 2 or 3 inch size and if i fill ther unit can get about 200 pots in it. But as I keep aeeds in for about 18 mths each seasons batch is about half the propogator so I can rotate them.

I will post some pics its a little rought around the edges but works well. I use the bag method inside this
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Bill

Post by Bill »

Excellent so far Guys.:)-D Keep them coming.

Trevor that's the sort of thing I have in mind as it's going in a windowless unheated outbuilding.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I have a talk on seed raising I can give to branches if you want to see how I do it. :)
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk