How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by Bill »

Hi All

as Marlon says Tina they normally sort themselves out.

Here is my rooted one, it's amazing how quick the roots grow there was not even a nodule last week.
[attachment 10754 roots.jpg]
Attachments
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B (95.61 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

First offset has now appeared and a second leaf has started to root and I am pleased to say that of the remains of my crystallina (4 leaves) 2 leaves have developed nodules.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Not one but two offsets. Amazing how quick they develop once they get going.
[attachment 10912 IMG_5002.jpg]
Attachments
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B (82.86 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

just wondering ive noticed that these plants can have thick fleshy roots. would they be possible to propagate by root cuttings?
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Bill

Post by Bill »

An update on Marlon's leaves.

After distributing a few to other forumites I have 3 left, all have produced offsets 10 between them and all are now rooted in normal growing medium after being stated of in pumice.

This was the first one to get going and hence has the largest offsets.

[attachment 13448 compt.jpg]

Bill
Attachments
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B (74.23 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

That's great Bill. I don't understand why but both of mine have failed. One was sitting comfortably in the pot for months and months looking healthy and surely about to produce something and then it just turned to pulp! Very disappointing.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Bill

Post by Bill »

As long as I don't have any disasters I am sure, I could spare you one of the offsets Patrick.

Bill

Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (it's a long thread!) but has anyone tried these techniques with Gasterias?
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Yep works more or less the same Mike, except they (in my experience) produce far more pups, 10 or is not unusual.

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as I don't have any disasters I am sure, I
> could spare you one of the offsets Patrick.
>

That's very kind Bill, would be great if it works out.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.