How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Karen-L
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by Karen-L »

interesting... i might have a go at rooting a few leaves from my one and only haworthia - H. arachnoides v setata -the leaves are a bit thin but it may work.....
Joined BCSS Southport Branch January 2008
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Not an easy one, in fact highly unlikely Karen but no harm in trying.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Have you sticky'd this thread Bill - I think it's worth it.
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Oh it will be Nick, once it's run it's course.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

(tu)

Nuff said
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hello Marlon

what a wonderful thread- Thank you.
Kegani is lovely & similar to Korizato which is super..

Question time.
What is the minimum size ie leaf numbers that you can reduce the original plant down to ?( rough guesstimate).

Are variegated plants more fragile if using this method ? (see pict of plant I'd like more of), it's growing fine on it's roots but as the leaves are so variable would it creat problems.

My favourite Haworthia is cooperi venusta so is it possible to propagate it this way ?

[attachment 8469 hpypmeaefrostedcream.jpg]
Attachments
4R5rRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAbAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAyYKYAAIAAAAFAAAA3YdpAAQAAAABAAAA5AAAApxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB
4R5rRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAbAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAyYKYAAIAAAAFAAAA3YdpAAQAAAABAAAA5AAAApxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB (92.87 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Tina,

Tina Wrote:
> Question time.
> What is the minimum size ie leaf numbers that you
> can reduce the original plant down to ?( rough
> guesstimate).

It depends on the species, but to be on the safe side about eight to ten leaves should be left in the original rosette. The plant in your picture would be too small to try to propagate using this method - perhaps the method of 'coring' that Bill and Phil White described would work best in this case. You can also just try to take one or two of the lower leaves by pulling them sideways: with this method little harm is done to the original plant.

> Are variegated plants more fragile if using this
> method ? (see pict of plant I'd like more of),
> it's growing fine on it's roots but as the leaves
> are so variable would it creat problems.

I am sorry, I do not have experience with propagating variegates using this method, but I believe that if the leaf has also some green streaks then it would be ok. A completely albino leaf would probably not root.

> My favourite Haworthia is cooperi venusta so is it
> possible to propagate it this way ?

It is certainly possible, just make sure that the plant has very plump leaves before removing them. Actually, normal Haworthia cooperi was the first plant of Haworthia that I tried to propagate using this method, and I had very good results, with up to ten plantlets growing out from each leaf!

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves_VARIEGATED EXPERIMENT

Post by Phil White »

Tina,
Marlon is correct, basically you need a reasonable amount of leaves but this depends on the species/type, for "retusae" types I would say 4 or 5 reasonable sized leaves.
As regards variegates it is mostly a matter of luck e.g.with offsets depending on where it emerges from ie. part chlorophyll part variegate then with luck a variegated offste will appear. However, mostly all green offsets or all yellow/white offsets appear on plants.
I have attached a pic of Haworthia truncata 'Down Under' a plant originating from John Pilbeam. Because I was unaware of any other specimen & I liked it so much I decided a "(LONGGGG term) project" was called for.
More to follow.

[attachment 8470 DSC06858-1100_original.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (74.12 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Phil White
BCSS Member

Post by Phil White »

After re-rooting the plant & taking off the offsets like that attached I continued.
[attachment 8471 DSC06853-1100-offset.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (93.33 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Phil White
BCSS Member

Post by Phil White »

Leaves as mentioned were hit & miss giving mostly green but there was some success.
[attachment 8472 7582s.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA (84.35 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England