How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
lenbell
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by lenbell »

Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (it's
> a long thread!) but has anyone tried these
> techniques with Gasterias?
> Mike

Gasterias will produce pups from bits of leaves, you don't need to get a bit of stem tissue.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Here are a couple of my experiments with Haworthias. This is H. semiviva, I had a double headed plant that lost its roots, one head I cut in half, I also tried rooting leaves, but they proved a bit too thin to survive long enough to root. This is the half that is now producing two pups and a root...
[attachment 13483 IMG_0367Small.JPG]
Attachments
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAoA8AAAIQAwABAAAAuAsAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAoA8AAAIQAwABAAAAuAsAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (33.99 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

...this is one of the variegated limifolia crosses I grew from seed. The variegation had disappeared from the top growth, so I beheaded it, hoping for variegated pups, it has grown three pups, and one is nicely variegated!
[attachment 13484 IMG_0369Small.JPG]

This is the top showing a normal green pup.
Attachments
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAoA8AAAIQAwABAAAAuAsAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAoA8AAAIQAwABAAAAuAsAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (52.07 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

...here's the variegated one.
[attachment 13485 IMG_0368Small.JPG]
Attachments
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAoA8AAAIQAwABAAAAuAsAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (68.12 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Nice to see those offsets going on, Bill! I also got some leaves to root, but no offsets yet.

I am a bit concerned about the original rosette, it has not re-rooted yet. The plant looks fine, the leaves are ok and only very slightly shrivelled, but the plant has not done much else in all this time. I am sure it will eventually re-root and start growing again, but for the moment it is not doing much.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Robert K
Registered Guest

Post by Robert K »

when is a good time for these cuttings as debating trying with some of my truncata
in love with astrophytums and Haworthia truncata
Bill

Post by Bill »

You can do them almost any time Robert. As they need a period of time to dry off and then to decided to start growing, bottom heat helps to get them going. But you do need patience, they can take months and months to get going.

Bill

=======================================
Website, Gallery and Wants
If you are in North Wales visitors are welcome PM/E-mail first and bring CAKE.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Marlon

Funnily enough I was only thinking yesterday not heard from you for a while.

Some seem to take along time to root down Marlon, although I have never known comptoniana to be particularly slow.

Bill

=======================================
Website, Gallery and Wants
If you are in North Wales visitors are welcome PM/E-mail first and bring CAKE.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Finally some of the leaves of the Haworthia emelyeae var. comptoniana have decided to grow a few offsets!
[attachment 14395 pa080004.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (42.67 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

[attachment 14396 pa080005.jpg]
The first leaf has two offsets growing out of it, and the second has just started growing one. They may grow a few more offsets later on. I only kept five leaves to root, the rest I distributed among members of the forum. I still have three leaves just sitting in there, but hopefully they will also soon start growing offsets.

The main rosette rooted a few weeks ago - I noticed it had plumped up and turned from brownish to green, and I knew it had finally decided to take root.

Well, the whole process - from chopping the plant up to having the main rosette rooting again, and the leaves starting to grow offsets - took a little bit over nine months. A long time, almost a gestation! But it was well worth the wait. Now I will have a few more plants of this clone of Haworthia emelyeae var. comptoniana, and in a few more months the original plant will be as big as it was when I decided to chop it up. Plus some other people are now also growing this clone!

Cheers,

Marlon.
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Marlon Machado.