How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: How to propagate Haworthia from leaves

Post by Bill »

Hi Patrick

It just struck me that's how I root down any offsets that I contrive to remove without roots or plants that I get with no roots, why shouldn't it work with leaves.

Cue more experiments, going to risk removing a few leafs from some more precious plants tomorrow.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Looking good Marlon (tu)
My comptoniana has had an pup for about 4 or 5 weeks now but the roots are only slightly visible as nodules but are slowwww, the leaf is really getting quite dessicated so it has better get a move on.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

So how did you manage that Tina? How have you treated your leaf?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Well done Bill (tu)

Tina, if the leaf has root nodules, then you should place it in a moist substrate to persuade it to root.

Patrick, my leaves (and original rosette) are still unrooted. I probably should do as Bill did, and put them in a moist, warm substrate to encourage rooting.

The offsets of the Kegani lost their roots in the process of being transported to Brazil, now they have rooted down again but the move has caused a check in the growth of the offsets. But nonetheless, all of them survived and look fine.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Chaps
I have to admit that my leaf nerly got lost again so end up going in a pan with some Hoodia seedlings. These had been kept moist so the Comp got water thrown on it & buried beforeit had sprouted, it was also in the hot room at work so at 26 degree's.
I'll take a pict tomorrow as the hot room is broken at the moment so all my plants are at home.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Thanks Marlon, forgot to say that Grey Ghost rooted down, well when I say down more like up, I put it in the Pumice and the root initially grew in but then it started to rise up like a Mangrove(:D In my normal mix now and it seems to be staying put.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Marlon
Here my leaf, not too exciting yet but it has all the summer to grow. It's a bit shiny as I had to wash the soil off
[attachment 10739 compleaf.jpg]
Attachments
4Q8xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4Q8xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (97.92 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Tina

Bucks, UK
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Tina,

I am glad to see that the offset is developing well! Now you should put it in a moist substrate to encourage those root nodules to grow (and I should give a similar treatment to my leaves!).

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Marlon
Do they normally grow upside down so the root nodules are to the top of the leaf & pup below or is it random??
Tina

Bucks, UK
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Random. it depends on how the leaf is lying. If lying upright, then the roots will go down and the offset will turn its head up.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.