Monilaria times three

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mesemaniac
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Monilaria times three

Post by Mesemaniac »

Here are three monilarias in flower, to brighten the winter days. Clockwise from the bottom right: M. pisiformis, M. obconica, M. moniliformis.

[attachment 8509 Monilaria.jpg]
Attachments
Monilaria.jpg
Monilaria.jpg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Tim
Growing mesembs in the Mojave desert
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Re: Monilaria times three

Post by sechjoh »

Those flowers are so very nice looking :)

Thanks for sharing, Tim!
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Excellent pics Tim. :notwo:
The Mojave desert seems a better place than Belgium.
That's one of the plants that is unlikely to flower ever in Western Europe: too dark in winter.
They would be a good reason to move to the south of Spain or a similar place in the US or south africa B)-

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Tim,

Wonderful flowers. Is the magenta flower colour normal or is it very variable? I have a M.moniliformis that I sowed in 2001 and one M.obconica sown in 1995 but it still struggles to fill a 2.75" pot. Obviously no flowers on mine. I have read that they can live for hundreds of years!::o So they are not in any rush:diss:
How old are yours from seed? Are they similar to Mitrophyllum in that they need to age before flowering or is it winter sun, or both?

It's still pretty weird here in my corner of Mesembworld. I still have lithops karasmontana bella in flower, various faucaria in full bloom. I even have a few Frithia humilis with fully formed flowers waiting for a sunny day to open! Quite a lot of conos flowered in Autumn, but not as good a show as usual. I can see the magenta flowers of lots of my C.luckhoffii under their skins wondering whether to put in an appearance or not - always a worry as this can lead to rot and body loss.I have had flowers on a couple of C.obscurum, a species (if I'm not mistaken) should flower in summer?

No sign of flowers on my Odontophorus plants, which have flowered each year in the last 3. My cephalophyllums and Acrodons are not interested this year. I even have a flower on Rebutia 'Apricot Ice' and a number of Haworthia thrusting flowers upwards which by my reckoning is almost two months early.

I wonder what sort of anomaly 2008 has in store for us?????:conf:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

> I wonder what sort of anomaly 2008 has in store
> for us?????:conf:

Blossfeldias and Turbs in midwinter, probably...

...no, wait, that's already happened this year... 8-)
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Hi Brian, as far as I know, monilaria needs very intense light to form its flowers. If I remember well, they can flower at the age of 5 years already, so not like mitrophyllum. These Knersvlakte species get double light by the reflection on the white quartz.

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Cor! They're beautiful Tim! Thanks for brightening up a very wet dreary day here...
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

[quote]I wonder what sort of anomaly 2008 has in store [/quote]

I'd consider it an anomolay only if we get a normal year with four seasons in the right order ;)

Great plants, Tim. A little older than 5 years, I think?
Cheshire, UK
Mesemaniac
Registered Guest

Post by Mesemaniac »

Hi Brian,

> Is the magenta flower colour normal or is it very variable?

Very variable. Ihlenfeldt says in Hartmann's Handbook that the petals can be "white, yellow, orange, salmon, red or purple". Haven't seen all those colors yet. These plants are twenty years old from seed this month. They have been flowering for many years.

Tim
Growing mesembs in the Mojave desert
AJ
Registered Guest

Post by AJ »

All beautiful, the magenta one particularly so!

Adrian