Not sure this is of interest - some aeoniums?

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Re: Not sure this is of interest - some aeoniums?

Post by Roger Mann »

Hello Paul. Its a real treat to see Aeoniums growing wild and also other Canary Island plants. One of my interests are Aeoniums and am building up a collection. Did you take any hand books with you to help with identification if so which ones? I have Rudlf Schulz splendid book, and am interested in finding other books that cover the Canary Islands plant life. Did you see many Aichrysons? Many thanks for the pictures on the Forum.
ROGER.......................
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Hi Roger

yes, I took the Schulz book and, whilst there, bought 'Wild Flowers of the Canary Islands' by David and Zoe Bramwell ISBN 84-7207-129-4 plus a good guide to the Garajonay National Park ISBN 84-8014-452-1 that covers the flora (and all aspects) of the park in some detail. Schultz seems to be something of a lumper compared to Bramwell. Also the Bramwell book doesn't cover ferns, as the name suggests.

We did see aichryson - by the thousand! I was surprised to see where they grow, preferring conditions akin to ferns in moist to wet shade. That also accounts for the lack of pictures - too much shade! Here a half acceptable pic.

I'm not entirely sure which this one is, this was in La Gomera. I have some at home and will for certain change how I grow them after this revelation.

We also saw a few species of monanthes out there in both Gomera and Tenerife - really cute little succulents wedged into crevices but I didn't manage to take a decent pic of any.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Thanks Paul a good set of photo's (tu)
I've been to the Canaries a couple of times in the past and the islands have beautiful scenery especially when you get off the main tourist routes.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
kaowinston
Registered Guest

Post by kaowinston »

Paul

You do get around, and this probably proves life exist outside of Mexico. Never been to the Canaries. Did stop at Tenerife while on a large boat, but I did not get off. Enjoyed the tour, especially the unusual contrast between the higlands.
Botanist
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Botanist »

For the lovers of the Canarian flora, you can find some other photos here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 9716660258
Interezst for Aloe, Agave, Ariocarpus, Aztekium, Dorstenia, Euphorbia, Encephalocarpus, Haworthia, Hoya, Sansevieria and tropical orchids. You can find some fotoalbums here: http://picasaweb.google.com/emilio.botaniste
I live in Belgium.
Devrim
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Devrim »

Those Echiums in the facebook album are very impressive and all flora of the canaries is very interesting, a must see place.