Not sure this is of interest - some aeoniums?

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Not sure this is of interest - some aeoniums?

Post by Paul in Essex »

Here is a link to a few pages I put together of a trip to Tenerife and La Gomera a couple of weeks ago. Mainly forests and scenery but also a few aeoniums species as and when we encountered them in habitat.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Re: Not sure this is of interest - some aeoniums?

Post by Rob »

Definately VERY interesting Paul!
Thanks for showing us this.
I only had a quick peak so far - will be back for a proper read later. It was interesting to see your comments on A.spathulatum this is one I have outside here in Lincs- only in its second winter tho!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

That is interesting Rob - what temps has it seen and, importantly, is there a commercial source? I have never encountered it for sale before.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Assuming it IS actually A.spathulatum!! I got a cutting from a B&B we stayed in at North Walsham in Norfolk, I'm fairly sure she would have got it from the 'exotic' type garden near there which I cant remeber the name of as we couldnt go in with our dog at the time.

Not sure exactly what temps it has had where it is planted - against a South facing wall where I can also put a sheet of glass over it to help keep the worst weather out.But temps in my unheated greenhouse under a sheet or two of fleece have been -3 this winter! I think it would probably like a bit more shade than it gets in the summer too.

There should be a plant in a greenhouse too so I should be able to send cuttings when the weather allows-remind me!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Bill G
Registered Guest
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Bill G »

Well done and many thanks Paul - you had a second interested reader - but not about Aeoniums. The scenery,town descriptions and temperature comments were excellent.
Bill G.
Melissa
Registered Guest

Post by Melissa »

Great travelouge Paul, very interesting to see the Aeoniums in situ and as ever a nice account of your travels.

It will be interesting to see how they do in your garden and if they do take the low temps they suggest.

I've been trying some outside this winter, but it's a bad year to try, most are mush.

Melissa
Norwich, Norfolk.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Thanks Paul for a great collection of photos. I have been trying to get to the Canaries for some years, your pictures inspire me to keep trying.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Great pics beautifully presented Paul. I had no idea the nature is so beautiful out there.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Excellent pictures Paul. I spent two holidays on Tenerife in the 1980's and loved it. I thought the cloud forest to the east to Teide was amazing and recall seeing wonderful specimins of what I think was Aeonium tabuliforme (had cilliate edges to the leaves and was very flat) growing on the hillsides. I brought back seed, germinated hundreds and gave them to anyone who would have one. I grew one on to flowering size and then in the early 1990's gave up on them.
I see santa Cruz seems to have sprouted a Calatrava building.
Is the cactus nursery above Los Gigantes still there?
Mike
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thanks all.

Mike - yes, Santa Cruz is being given something of a makeover, though I believe it has stuttered over the last year. The Manrique lido and Calatrava Auditorium are simply world class, as will be the Palmetum once up and running properly. My co-traveller, Neil, tells me that the modern art gallery in town is of a similar standard - not my scene really but he enjoys it.

Didn't see Aeonium tabuliforme though expected to bump into at some stage during our rummage around the Anaga mountains - I guess you must have seen it down near sea level (?) and we spent most of our time higher.

Nor did we venture to Los Gigantes - one bit we missed out. We tried to find one palm nursery on the northeast coast but wasted an hour driving aimlessly through banana plantations looking!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.