Majorca

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Majorca

Post by Liz M »

Hi Diane, thanks for the information about the orchid. I saw it as I was taking a photo of another, it was hidden a little but the shiny dark blue caught my eye.
The weather was wonderful, if a little cool in the evenings and seeing the orchids was a real bonus.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

The first Ophrys looks like a form of tenthredinifera.
Acid John
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Very nice pictures Liz, it looks like you had a great time! I love the little tortoise, do you know what species it is?

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Liz

Very nice, as you say it's a great place to visit if you avoid the sun, sea and sangria brigade. The road down to Formentor and the views from it are pretty spectacular aren't they. Did you go down to sa Calorba,the road to there is even more spectacular, up one side of a mountain, then road has to loop back over itself to descend in a series of switchbacks down to the coast, coaches go up/down it and to get round the switchbacks the back end of the coach overhangs some rather frightening drops, which explained why the walls/crash barriers were only 6 " high.::o
The road from Formentor Lighthouse and yes the bit in the foreground does join the bit in the background
[attachment 17197 301006-Formentor-16.jpg]
Attachments
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B
+IMWElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAAMSExpbm8CEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB84AAgAJAAYAMQAAYWNzcE1TRlQAAAAASUVDIHNSR0IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1IUCAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARY3B (78.92 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote=Marlon]Very nice pictures Liz, it looks like you had a great time! I love the little tortoise, do you know what species it is?[/quote]

Looks like a Hermanns Tortoise Testudo hermanni Marlon.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Bill, Yes the road to Formentor is fairly bendy and no we did not get to Sa Calorba. There had been a serious landside in the Pollenca to Soller road right by the junction to Sa Calorba and the road was closed. From the map the road looks like my sort of road, I love the hairpin bends on the Spanish mountains and I have been down a few. Some of the views are really spectacular and the best views are always on the tightest bends on the narrowest road and you can't stop.
Thanks for the name of the tortoise, he was quite a surprise.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

So, a cousin of Hermione then.

The blue bee orchid.... I thought there really was an insect on it when I first saw it!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.